Shortly after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday night, there was a water main break on Spring Street at the intersection of Lee Avenue.
Newport Police Department was forces to close Spring Street at Narragansett Avenue
All this happening, while Gregory Porter was wrapping up his performance in front of a sold-out crowd of 10,000 at day #2 of the Newport Jazz Festival at Fort Adams State Park.
With thousands departing the fort between 6 p.m. – 7 p.m., police were forced to divert traffic from Fort Adams away from Spring Street and up to Bellevue, many fans have shared on social media that it took them 2 to 3 hours to get out of Newport after leaving the festival.
Public services worked to fix the water main break late into Saturday night, Spring Street has reopened.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters