Paul married Nancy Gail Smith in 1983 and lived with her for 14 years in Richmond, RI. His beloved daughter Margaret Worthen was born in 1984 and Paul and she were very close until she died on August 2, 2015 as a result of a severe brain stem stroke that left her disabled for nine years. Paul was a magnificent father. He remained friends with Nancy after their divorce.
Paul struggled with mental illness since his teens and was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic in his twenties, but maintained a sense of humor and optimistic spirit through his struggles. He enjoyed writing poetry and letters, playing his guitar and singing for his cousin Margaret and friends, as well as creating fantastic Lego spaceships and vehicles.
A memorial service will be held on July 16, 2016 at 2 p.m. at the Westminster Unitarian Church, 119 Kenyon Avenue, East Greenwich, RI. Please bring a memory of Paul to share.
In lieu of flowers, donate in Margaret Worthen’s honor to WWW.LOOK FOR THE GOOD PROJECT.ORG for their Hero Award program.
The Latest From WUN
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network