The identify of the man who was found dead after a fire at 62 Halsey Street on Tuesday afternoon is now known.
On July 12th at 3:34 P.M., the Newport Fire Department responded to the Newport Tradesman Center at 62 Halsey Street for a smoke investigation. A short time later a small fire was discovered by a worker on site that was quickly extinguished by Newport Fire Department. After further investigation a man was found, recovered and was pronounced dead by NFD personnel.
Luke Walker, 57, of Middletown has been identified as the man who was found by responders.
This incident is currently being investigated by the Newport Police Department Criminal Investigations Division along with the Newport Fire Department Fire Marshal as well as the Rhode Island State Police and Rhode Island State Fire Marshal office.
Walker was well known for his woodworking and restoration of vintage Indian motorcycles, he has had a shop in the Newport Tradesman Center for many years.
Many may remember Walker from when the community rallied behind him back in May of 2013, after he was struck by a car while driving his motorcycle on West Main Road in Middletown. Walker lost his right leg and suffered traumatic brain injury from the accident.
Newport Patch wrote about the incident and the support Walker received following the accident in October of 2013 – Friends Rally Around Middletown Resident Injured in Motorcycle Accident.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13