The Rev. Dr. Donald E. Koponen was welcomed into the arms of his personal Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Thursday, June 9, 2016.
He left behind his brother Roy Koponen of Fenton, MI, and his two daughters and their families: Susan, Corey, Shauna, Kyle, Elyse and Kelise Monteiro; Chelsea and Austin Brockman: Arthur Jenkins; Karen and Rick David; Lindsay, Alexander and Annaliese Peczynski. He also left behind his much loved cousins, nieces and nephews.
“Father Don” was a graduate of Ford Trade School in Dearborn MI. He earned his B.A. from Wayne State University, his M. Div. from Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary, and his D. Min. in Pastoral Counseling from Andover-Newton Theological School.
He was ordained a Pastor in the Suomi Synod in 1957 and retired from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1995. He was ordained into the priesthood of the Charismatic Episcopal Church in 1996.
One of things Father Don was best known for was his voice. He studied voice at Suomi College and The Art Centre Music School in Michigan. He was a tenor soloist with the Portland, Oregon Symphonic Choir, and the Swanhurst Chorus in Newport, RI.
He was also involved with the RI Civic Chorale, the Salisbury Singers, the Newport Players Guild and performed with the Newport Music Festival.
He made two recordings of sacred songs and directed the Good News Kids.
Father Don truly walked the walk and practiced what he preached. He was the best father and grandfather that anyone could ask for and he touched many lives.
Calling hours will be held at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport, RI on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
A burial service will be held on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at Newport Memorial Park, 123 Howland Avenue, Middletown, RI at 9:30 a.m. followed by a memorial service at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 525 Broadway, Newport, RI at 11:00 a.m.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck