Maud M. Emanuel, 93, of Newport died Thursday, June 16, 2016 at Village House Nursing Home in Newport, RI.
Mrs. Emanuel was born April 16, 1923 in Philadelphia, PA the daughter of the late Christian and the late Lilly (Smyth) Wenkenbach.
She was a therapist who founded her own mental health clinic in Plymouth Meeting, PA. After retiring she moved to Newport, where she was widely known in the Newport area as well as across the state as an accomplished Violinist and Violist. She had a lifelong interest in social justice and was active in many civil rights causes. She loved taking walks on the beach and being near the ocean; painting was also a passion of hers. Above everything else, Maud loved her family.
She is survived by her daughters, Christina Emanuel of Van Nuys, CA, Anna Lee Chatty of Newport, RI, Robin Duhamel and her husband Paul of Newark, DE, and Heather Emanuel of Boylston, NY.
She is also survived by her grandchildren; Jesse Chatty and his wife Andreina, of Costa Rica, Kiffen Ratkevich of Newport, RI, Jan Fox and her husband Henry of Milford, DE, Kristy Money and her husband Nathan of New Orleans, LA and her great grandchildren Axel John Chatty and Oliver Fox. She is also survived by her sister Denise Scott of Ormond Beach, Florida, and her brother-in-law Abraham Emanuel and many nieces and nephews.
She is preceded in death by her sister Elizabeth Hedges.
A service of remembrance will be held on Monday June 20, 2016 from 1:00-2:00 pm in Hambly Funeral Home. “Brick House”, 30 Red Cross Avenue, Newport, RI.
Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in her name to Village House Activities Fund, 70 Harrison Avenue, Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now