The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center will host its 2016 Keeper of the Dream and Annual Meeting on Monday, June 20th at its location at 20 Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd. in Newport. The event will start with refreshments and mingling at 6:00 p.m. with official ceremonies commencing at 6:45 p.m. and concluding about 8:30 p.m.
Keeper of the Dream awards are bestowed annually on a person, couple, or group whose outstanding commitment and contribution to the MLK Community Center most embodies the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
This year, MLK Community Center will honor Rena DiMuccio of Cumberland, RI as Keeper of the Dream, George W. Emerson of Newport, RI as Volunteer of the Year, and The Waters Edge Flowers as the Keeper of the Dream – Business.
“The Keeper of the Dream honors heroes whose passion and dedication have made an outstanding impression on the Center, and our community. The trustees and staff unanimously agreed on our honorees; we are excited to celebrate their contributions”, said Marilyn Warren, Executive Director.
Keeper of the Dream & the Annual Meeting will also feature the installation of six new members to the MLK Community Center’s Board of Trustees, as well as the debut of its 2015 Annual Report.
The public is welcome at this free event but space is limited and registration is required. To register, please do so online MLKCCenter.Eventbrite.com.
Since 1922, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center has continued to evolve in providing a safe and nurturing environment for the changing needs of Newport County residents who seek nutritional, educational and social supports to improve the quality of their lives. For more information about the Center, visit www.MLKCCenter.org or call 401-846-4828.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill