The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center will host its 2016 Keeper of the Dream and Annual Meeting on Monday, June 20th at its location at 20 Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd. in Newport. The event will start with refreshments and mingling at 6:00 p.m. with official ceremonies commencing at 6:45 p.m. and concluding about 8:30 p.m.
Keeper of the Dream awards are bestowed annually on a person, couple, or group whose outstanding commitment and contribution to the MLK Community Center most embodies the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
This year, MLK Community Center will honor Rena DiMuccio of Cumberland, RI as Keeper of the Dream, George W. Emerson of Newport, RI as Volunteer of the Year, and The Waters Edge Flowers as the Keeper of the Dream – Business.
“The Keeper of the Dream honors heroes whose passion and dedication have made an outstanding impression on the Center, and our community. The trustees and staff unanimously agreed on our honorees; we are excited to celebrate their contributions”, said Marilyn Warren, Executive Director.
Keeper of the Dream & the Annual Meeting will also feature the installation of six new members to the MLK Community Center’s Board of Trustees, as well as the debut of its 2015 Annual Report.
The public is welcome at this free event but space is limited and registration is required. To register, please do so online MLKCCenter.Eventbrite.com.
Since 1922, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center has continued to evolve in providing a safe and nurturing environment for the changing needs of Newport County residents who seek nutritional, educational and social supports to improve the quality of their lives. For more information about the Center, visit www.MLKCCenter.org or call 401-846-4828.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters