A deer was spotted wandering around Bowen’s Wharf just after 2 p.m. on Thursday.
Frank Silvia, Musical Director and Bar Manager for Landing and The Lobster Bar, tells What’sUpNewp that a deer came from the direction of Bowen’s Wharf and ran into the Lobster Bar just after 2 p.m. on Thursday.
The deer, which he estimates weighed 125 – 150 pounds, ran into the Lobster Bar, before the deer could go much further or any damage done, the deer was tackled and brought to the ground by a female Lobster Bar employee.
Silvia quickly called 911 and let them know of the situation and that they had a deer apprehended, “the 911 Operator told me that it was a wild animal and to let it go, I reminded them that I know it’s a wild animal and that’s why I didn’t let a wild animal go loose in a restaurant on Bowen’s Wharf”.
Newport Animal Control did respond to the scene, tranquilized the deer and share with Silvia that they would relocate it to Ocean Drive, “somewhere by The Bells I assume they will let it go”, Silvia told What’sUpNewp.
“The deer did have a bloody face, perhaps it was hit by a car or ran into something and was disoriented”, Silvia shared.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week
- Obituary: Anne S. Gadoury
- Obituary: John Richard Davidson