A deer was spotted wandering around Bowen’s Wharf just after 2 p.m. on Thursday.
Frank Silvia, Musical Director and Bar Manager for Landing and The Lobster Bar, tells What’sUpNewp that a deer came from the direction of Bowen’s Wharf and ran into the Lobster Bar just after 2 p.m. on Thursday.
The deer, which he estimates weighed 125 – 150 pounds, ran into the Lobster Bar, before the deer could go much further or any damage done, the deer was tackled and brought to the ground by a female Lobster Bar employee.
Silvia quickly called 911 and let them know of the situation and that they had a deer apprehended, “the 911 Operator told me that it was a wild animal and to let it go, I reminded them that I know it’s a wild animal and that’s why I didn’t let a wild animal go loose in a restaurant on Bowen’s Wharf”.
Newport Animal Control did respond to the scene, tranquilized the deer and share with Silvia that they would relocate it to Ocean Drive, “somewhere by The Bells I assume they will let it go”, Silvia told What’sUpNewp.
“The deer did have a bloody face, perhaps it was hit by a car or ran into something and was disoriented”, Silvia shared.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13