Swiss Village Farm (SVF) will open their doors on Saturday, June 11th to allow the public to tour their grounds and to learn about about endangered breeds and cryo-preservation.
Take self-guided tours through the historic Swiss Village and take a peek into their state-of-the-art facilities and meet the SVF laboratory, veterinary, and animal care staff.
Visit Chip, a rare Tennessee myotonic goat born from a frozen embryo, and learn about other endangered breeds of livestock, attend live cryogenics and sheep shearing demonstrations, shop SVF’s selection of farm products and heritage breed meat.
Ditch the car and enjoy a beautiful bike ride to Visitors Day! Free bike parking is available on site and bicyclists are encouraged to enter from our Beacon Hill Road entrance – keep an eye out for the yellow Bike Newport signs as you get close. Bicyclists can also walk their bikes through.
The Annual Visitors Day celebration is the only day each year that SVF is open to the public.
This event is free to the public. Parking will be available at Fort Adams State Park and free transportation will be provided by trolley from 9am – 3pm. There will be no parking available at SVF.
For more information call 401.848.7229 or email email@example.com
About SVF Foundation
SVF Foundation preserves germplasm (semen and embryos) from rare and endangered breeds of food and fiber livestock. In collaboration with Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, SVF elevates rare-breed conservation to a new level, through the cryopreservation of germplasm. Collecting 200 embryos and 3,000 straws of semen per breed, SVF will be able to reawaken a breed, with its full genetic diversity, within one generation. This library of frozen material is vital to the protection of the world’s food supply.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now