Did you know that RI is home to upwards of 45 oyster farms?
Most people don’t and that’s why Bowen’s Wharf has decided to help promote Rhode Island-grown oysters with the inaugural Newport Oyster Festival on May 20th, 21st and 22nd.
Tickets for the Opening Night Party and Newport Oyster Festival are now on sale.
Newport Oyster Festival Opening Night Party to Benefit the Ocean State Aquaculture Association
May 20th from 6pm – 8:30pm
A night of Oysters & Wine on the Waterfront. Mingle with a small group of growers under market lights and festival tents. Meet members of the Santa Margherita Wine Group who have created perfect pairings between their elegant Italian selections with our very own Rhode Island Oysters for a memorable and informational marriage of merroir and tasting notes.
Tickets are $125 and limited to 150 people. All-you-can-eat, freshly shucked oysters. Open Bar. Includes complimentary wine glass. Curated selections of Santa Margherita wine and prosecco pairings will accompany each oyster. Guests will be served signature Oyster Festival drinks and a variety of different oyster based delicacies from the Ocean State’s best chefs — a true ocean-to-table experience as well as the launch of the new Rhode Island Oyster Trail.
Bivalves by the water: Newport Oyster Festival at Bowen’s Wharf, presented by Santa Margherita and featuring Rhode Island Growers.
May 21st and 22nd from 11am to 2pm and 2pm to 5pm
Taste your way around Rhode Island with oysters from over 13 different growers. (full list to come).
What’s better than freshly harvested local oysters, curated with wine and prosecco pairings and a chance to learn about how you’re helping the ecosystem just by eating oysters? Supporting sponsors are Stella Artois and Bully Boy Distillers: so you know every palette is in for a phenomenal treat. Chef’s best picks for this spring weekend will also be for sale as appetizer portions from 22 Bowen’s, Diego’s, The Wharf Pub, Matunuck Oyster Bar and Fluke Wine, Bar, & Kitchen.
Newport Oyster Festival is a rain of shine event! Tickets are $25 (plus $2 handling fee) each day for Saturday May 21st and Sunday May 22nd. Advance purchase tickets include four fresh, RI oysters and a beverage. Tickets for additional oysters will be sold on site for $2/oyster; full bar and on-site restaurants. Cash/credit accepted. Live music, shucking contest, aquaculture educators on site in a family-friendly, historic waterfront shopping and dining district.
Tickets at the door will be $35 and may not include free oysters or beverage, admission is based on available space under the tents. Children 12 and under are free. No strollers or outside beverages allowed under gated tents, but are allowed throughout the rest of the wharf; seeing-eye dogs only. Bag searches will be conducted at entry.
For more information on Bowen’s Wharf, visit www.bowenswharf.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport