If you’ve been following the Newport Storm Brewery lately you might have noticed that their brew collection has been growing. In the past two years the brewery has upped the ante producing close to 20 different varieties of beer with a noticeable focus on experimental styles. Storm is set to release 6 new beers this year alone and are kicking things off with Smoke RIng, their latest creation to come out of the wood works of their brewery and distillery.
A smoked porter aged in oak barrels for several months, Smoke RIng certainly took a unique journey from brew to bottle. Hardwood smoked barley and chocolate malt are expertly matched with crystal malt giving this brew a rich burgundy hue and a faint tan head. The aroma that emanates from this brew makes you feel like you’ve been transported to a campfire deep in the woods, but don’t let that or the color fool you! One sip of this beer will send your taste buds on a crazy ride from smoke, to cherry tartness, to a satisfying dark chocolate finish. Barrel aging beer is an exciting venture for any brewery. “Different barrels give different flavor and aroma profiles to a beer” says Brewmaster Derek Luke, “and the slightly wild ferment taking place in the barrels used for Smoke RIng is what gives this brew a tart twist!”.
Distribution has already commenced across Rhode Island and will soon extend to Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Maine. For more information on where you can track down Smoke RIng and all of Newport Storm’s beers go to NewportStorm.com or like Newport Storm Beer on Facebook at Facebook.com/NewportStorm.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 10 – 17)
- Common Fence Music to present Dedicated Men of Zion in streaming concert
- Whalers Brewing Company to give a free keg of beer to every bar and restaurant in Rhode Island
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now