If you’ve been following the Newport Storm Brewery lately you might have noticed that their brew collection has been growing. In the past two years the brewery has upped the ante producing close to 20 different varieties of beer with a noticeable focus on experimental styles. Storm is set to release 6 new beers this year alone and are kicking things off with Smoke RIng, their latest creation to come out of the wood works of their brewery and distillery.
A smoked porter aged in oak barrels for several months, Smoke RIng certainly took a unique journey from brew to bottle. Hardwood smoked barley and chocolate malt are expertly matched with crystal malt giving this brew a rich burgundy hue and a faint tan head. The aroma that emanates from this brew makes you feel like you’ve been transported to a campfire deep in the woods, but don’t let that or the color fool you! One sip of this beer will send your taste buds on a crazy ride from smoke, to cherry tartness, to a satisfying dark chocolate finish. Barrel aging beer is an exciting venture for any brewery. “Different barrels give different flavor and aroma profiles to a beer” says Brewmaster Derek Luke, “and the slightly wild ferment taking place in the barrels used for Smoke RIng is what gives this brew a tart twist!”.
Distribution has already commenced across Rhode Island and will soon extend to Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Maine. For more information on where you can track down Smoke RIng and all of Newport Storm’s beers go to NewportStorm.com or like Newport Storm Beer on Facebook at Facebook.com/NewportStorm.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays