Frosty Freez is preparing to open at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, April 1st for the 2016 season and their 60th Anniversary.
Frosty Freez, which has been serving ice cream since 1956, will be open from at least 11:30am to 9pm every day throughout the season starting on April 1st, the 2016 season will come to a close at 9pm on September 30th.
Frosty Freez is located at 496 East Main Road in Middletown and online at www.frostyfreez.com.
A Look At Frosty Freez’s History In Their Own Words
“Leo Cassidy opened the “Tastee Freez” sometime in 1956, according to the limited records we’ve been able to find. He and his wife Grace ran both the ice cream shop and “Leo’s Diner” which was located right behind the shop. Neither Leo nor his wife are with us anymore, but their small, family-oriented ice cream business still sits in the same building, serving Aquidneck Island families for over 50 years now. The name was changed to Frosty Freez at some point during their time, but we haven’t been able to find out when; we are still actively seeking more historical information. The building has gone through quite a few changes, as has Middletown, but the family atmosphere remains.
Ray and Solange Roppe purchased the business back in 1977, and ran both the ice cream shop and their clothing store “Ray’s Fashions”, located right behind Frosty Freez. The Roppe’s daughter Martine took over the shop in 1990, and ran it with her husband Gary for the next 10 years. In June of 2000, my husband Mark and I became the 3rd family of “caretakers” of this little Middletown landmark. We feel very fortunate to continue the tradition of serving a fun treat to our small community. Lots of people love it for its old-fashioned simplicity and its continuity. And its ice cream, of course!
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank the Roppes for “showing us the ropes” in the ice cream business. Fast and friendly service, great product and affordable prices have created a great fan base over the years. We’ll continue to do our best to keep things that way, while, of course, always looking for ways to make it even better!”
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits