Patrick Loftus of Newport, RI unexpectedly passed away at the age of 30 on Wednesday, October 29th, 2014. Loftus was an active member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians at the time of his passing.
The following button has been made in dedication;
The other button that has been made for the 60th Annual Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade honors this years grand marshals, Bill and Karen Cardinal.
The Newport Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee describes the button as follows; “Our yearly button designs try to incorporate the vocation or interests of our Grand Marshal. For the 2016 Saint Patrick’s Day Parade our Grand Marshals are William “Bill” & Karen Cardinal.. This year’s button makes use of a number of symbols important to them. The unique blue border represents the IHOP Restaurants (International House of Pancakes) color for which both are proud franchise owners. The green, white, and orange represents the National flag of Ireland and their Irish roots. The cardinal, well you can guess. It is a play on words representing their surname – Cardinal. The shamrock that the cardinal carries in its beak represents the Holy Trinity and the many hours both of the Cardinals spend at their Parish Church (Saint Barnabas) and in supporting catholic education on the Island.”
The 60th Annual Newport, Rhode Island Saint Patrick’s Day Parade will be held, rain, snow, or shine, on Saturday, March 12th 2016. It will begin promptly at 11:00am from Newport City Hall and will proceed to Carroll Avenue at Saint Augustin’s Church in the heart of the Fifth Ward.
The parade this year is estimated to last 2 hours and will include Pipe Bands, Marching Bands, Fife & Drum Corps, Clown Units, reenactment units, and a host of local, state, and regional organizations including police and fire units, social/fraternal organizations, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Schools, and non-profits.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals