Sign up for What’sUpNewp’s free daily newsletter and we’ll keep you in the know of all that’s happening, new, and to do out there.
25,000+ subscribers wake up every morning to it!
The Newport City Council will host their regularly scheduled meeting on January 27th at 6:30 p.m.at the Pell Elementary School Cafetorium, 35 Dexter Street.
Heading to the public meeting? Here’s a quick round-up of some of the more interesting items that will be reviewed, discussed and introduced – the full agenda for the meeting is here. Can’t make it the meeting but interested in an item on the agenda? Click HERE to watch the live video of this meeting.
Contact information for the Newport City Council can be found HERE.
SPECIAL EVENT LICENSES
The Newport City Council will be asked to review and approve 19 special event licenses, 6 for Ballard Park, 7 for Preservation Society of Newport County and a few others.
CAPTIAL IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
- Recommended FY2017-2021 Capital Improvement Program (Receive and order advertised for hearing on February 10 and 24, 2016)
(Document is on City’s website: www.cityofnewport.com; click on Departments-Finance-Finance Home)
LICENSE & PERMITS
City Council will vote to approve entertainment licenses for Cafe Zelda and AOH, at the last meeting they were both approved.
- Entertainment License, New, Class A (Indoors), Café Zelda, LLC, d/b/a Café Zelda, 528-530 Thames St. (Second Hearing)
- Entertainment License, New, Class A (Indoors), Ancient Order of Hibernians, d/b/a Ancient Order of Hibernians, 2 Wellington Ave. (Second Hearing)
6. Parking for residents during winter months- J. Florez
Councilor John Florez has submitted a resolution that would suspend the current parking ordinance during the month of January and February.
With passage of the resolution, Newport City Council would provide residents with “a much need break during the winter months, by suspending the current parking ordinance for the months of January an February. Individuals who have resident stickers will be allowed to park for any duration of time in all non-handicap parking spaces.”
7. Amending Chapter 10.20.130, entitled, “Snow Removal” (Second Reading)
This amendment would add 15 streets to the current parking ban street list, would increase from 9 to 24.
- UPDATED: 15 Streets May Be Added To Snow Emergency Parking Ban List on January 27th
- Number Of Roadways Where Parking Bans Are Enforced During Snow Storms May Increase
Reminder: On many if not most items, City Council has to vote twice to approve a resolution or license. When you see “Second Hearing”, in most cases the decision for the resolution or license will be final at this meeting.
Newport City Council Meetings
The Council’s regularly schedule Wednesday night meetings are first aired on COX Cable channel 18 at 8 P.M. the following night and then aired throughout the period until the next meeting.
Those start times are approximate and depend on preceding program lengths.They are listed on COX Cable channel 17. For special meetings and workshops, please check the program schedule on COX channel 17.
A DVD of each City Council Meeting is also available for viewing at the Newport Public Library.