Nearly 500 people have signed a petition and letter started by SGS For Healing in response to The Boston Globe‘s December 15th article that brought attention to alleged sexual abuse at St. Georges School.
The Change.org petition titled Our Immediate Requests of St George’s School is directed towards Head of School Eric Peterson and St. George’s School Board of Directors and it appears as if it was started by by Anne Scott, Class of ‘80, Katie Wales, Class of ‘80 and Joan ‘Bege’ Reynolds, Class of ‘79.
“Dozens of alumni have come forward since The Boston Globe’s December 15th article Former student forces R.I. prep school to confront its past.
Currently, they must go through a lawyer, who is also the partner of the School’s counsel, to share their experiences or seek assistance with therapy costs. Many of them have told us that they do not feel safe doing this.
We, the undersigned, insist that St. George’s School establishes without delay:
- An independent, clinician-directed assistance fund for former students who need care and treatment as the result of being sexually assaulted while at the School;
- An objective and thorough investigation, conducted by an independent third-party, and with full disclosure of the findings to the School community;
- A disclosure to its alumni of the important facts discovered through that independent investigation.
Many of these cases of abuse reach back over thirty years, but some are more recent. St. George’s must take responsibility for the harms caused by its neglect, and immediately help those who continue to suffer from those crimes.
Anne Scott, Class of ‘80
Katie Wales, Class of ‘80
Joan ‘Bege’ Reynolds, Class of ‘79″
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals