Photo via Newport Historical Society of Newport Holiday Lantern Tour
Discover the best events, activities and things to do in and around Newport, RI today.
Don’t forget that today is Small Business Saturday, get out of the house and support the small businesses that support the lovely city where you live, work and play!
Saturday, November 28th
- Polar Express, The Polar Express Train Ride on the Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad runs on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from November 20th through to Christmas. Trains depart each night at 4:30 and 6:30pm. On Saturday, December 5th, 12th, and 19th, trains depart at 4:30, 6:30, and 8:00pm. Each trip is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes long. All of our cars are heated and protected from the winter elements. www.newportpolarexpress.com
- Newport Nutcracker, Join IMC this holiday season for a one-of-a-kind performance of The Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff. Set within the romantic rooms of Rosecliff mansion, you dont want to miss this ballet. https://islandmovingco.secure.force.com/ticket/
- Holiday Lantern Tours Begin, November 28 – December 26th. Hear the history of early American holiday traditions on an evening walk and learn how colonial Newporters recognized the holidays. Offered on Fridays and Saturdays from November 28th-December 26th; not offered Christmas Day. $15 per person, reservations suggested as space is limited. Presented by the Newport Historical Society. More Info
- Newport Seal Watch Cruises, November 28th at 1pm & 2pm. Join us aboard one of our education vessels as we motor through historic Newport Harbor and take in 360 views of seals resting on Citing Rock off of Rose Island and the Newport Bridge. One-hour seal tours are entirely boat-based, while two-hour tours include a tour of Rose Island Lighthouse. One hour tour: $22 non-members, $17 Save The Bay members, seniors, children aged 3-12 Two-hour tour: $42 non-members, $32 Save The Bay members, seniors, children aged 3-12, $5 children under 3 years
- Lower Thames Street Christmas Tree Lighting, November 28th at 6pm at Courtyard on Thames. Duris Studios, located at 476 Thames Street, will host the 1st annual holiday tree lighting at the Courtyard on Thames. It will be a great day to explore the shops on lower Thames, see the fun and lovely new things in the shop and gallery, and to have some cider and cookies with them while we light the tree at 6pm! Throughout the day there will be opportunities to meet some of the artisans behind their handcrafted items, pick out that special jewel for under the tree, and to share in the spirit of encouraging a season of shopping small, shopping local, and shopping custom.
- Coleman Center Faculty & Student Holiday Arts + Crafts Sale, November 28th & 29th at Newport Art Museum. Skip the big box stores Thanksgiving weekend! Instead, buy unique holiday gifts while supporting local artists and arts education. All gifts are made by faculty and students at the Museum’s art school, the Coleman Center for Creative Studies. More information: http://bit.ly/11CyWMF
- Cluny School Wreath & Tree Sale, A 2-day sale of Christmas wreaths and trees to benefit Cluny School will be held Saturday, November 28 and Sunday, November 29 in the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) parking lot, 449 Lower Thames Street, Newport. The sale runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.on Saturday, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, or while supplies last. Fresh and fragrant 24-inch, double-faced Canadian balsam wreaths, hand-decorated by Cluny School parents, will be sold along with 6-foot to 9-foot Balsam and Fraser Fir trees. Evergreen garland will also be sold by the foot.