On August 5th, 2015, the United States Senate designated September 25th as National Lobster Day.
The National Lobster Day resolution was Sponsored by Senator Angus King of Maine and was agreed to without amendment and with a preamble by Unanimous Consent.
Both, Senator Whitehouse and Senator Reed of Rhode Island were among those who submitted the following resolution.
Designating September 25, 2015, as “National Lobster Day”.
Whereas lobster from the United States is recognized around the world as a prized culinary delicacy;
Whereas lobster fishing has served as an economic engine and a family tradition in the United States for centuries;
Whereas thousands of families in the United States make their livelihoods from lobster fishing and processing;
Whereas more than 120,000,000 pounds of lobster are caught each year in waters of the United States, representing one of the Nation’s most valuable catches;
Whereas the lobster industry is booming abroad, with profits climbing from $335,800,000 in 2009 to $738,600,000 in 2014;
Whereas historical lore notes that lobster likely joined turkey on the table at the very first Thanksgiving Day feast in 1621;
Whereas responsible lobstering practices, beginning in the 1600s, have created one of the world’s most sustainable fisheries;
Whereas Lobster Newburg was featured on the menu at the inaugural dinner celebration for President John F. Kennedy;
Whereas lobsters are one of the most healthy and nutritious sources of protein;
Whereas the peak of the lobstering season in the United States occurs in the late summer;
Whereas lobster has become a culinary icon, with the lobster roll being featured at the 2015 World Food Expo in Milan, Italy; and
Whereas lobster is featured on more and more restaurant menus, growing by 35 percent from 2009 to 2013: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the Senate—
(1) designates September 25, 2015, as “National Lobster Day”; and
(2) encourages the people of the United States to observe the day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.
Enjoy National Lobster Day in Newport, RI on September 25, 2015!
Photo: Clambake at Castle Hill Inn
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)