What’sUpNewp brought you the unfortunate news of Joe Martins passing on Friday, August 21st.
Joe Martins was a saxophonist for Triple Threat and at one time or another also played with Soul Ambition, The New York Minute, Merge, Big Cat Blues and James Montgomery Band.
Calling hours will be held at the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway in Newport, RI on Thursday, August 27th from 4 to 7 pm. A funeral mass will be held at Jesus Savior Church at 11:00 am on Friday, August 28th.
Ryan Belmore, Owner & Editor of What’sUpNewp, had the privilege to know Joe and have him on his radio show, “1540 LIVE”, on 1540 AM WADK Newport several times.
“Joe had a passion for music, friends and his community. I remember when the Newport Yachting Center was sold, Joe was among the first to reach out to me and say “what can we do?” He believed in music and believed that Newport was better with it. Thinking back, we’re a better community because we had Joe Martins, both as a musician and person, a part of it. Newport has lost a great musician and amazing neighbor and friend”, Belmore said.
The What’sUpNewp joins those in remembering Joe tonight and keeping his family, friends and loved ones in our thoughts and prayers.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)