Open to runners and walkers, the 4-mile course crosses the Newport Pell Bridge eastbound, from Jamestown to Newport. The event day is the only day of the year that pedestrians are permitted on the bridge
The Citizen’s Bank Pell Bridge Run is hosted by the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority Foundation and produced by Gray Matter Marketing. The 2019 Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run is a part of the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Newport Pell Bridge, and 100% of the net proceeds from the event are donated to local non-profits.
Since its inception in 2010, the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run and the RITBA Foundation have donated more than $535,000 to non-profits through this event. This year, following an application process in the spring, the RITBA Foundation chose 36 local non-profits that will receive donations from the event. 100% of the net proceeds from the event will be donated to these 36 charities. Individuals and teams have raised nearly an additional $23,000 online for both the official charities and other causes of their choosing. Fundraising will remain open through the week after the event.
Starting at 5:30 AM on Sunday, October 20th, runners and walkers will be shuttled from the Newport Visitors Center to the race start line in Jamestown. Participants will be assigned to specific shuttle times. The race itself will begin at 7:15 AM, with participants broken into waves based on pace. Runners and walkers will follow a course on and over the bridge, taking in the sunrise and the stunning fall vistas that the run/walk is known for. They’ll finally descend from the bridge on to Farewell Street, finishing back at the Visitors Center on America’s Cup Avenue.
For the first time in the events’ history, finishers will receive a custom-designed finishers medal.
Early morning motorists in the Jamestown and Newport area should be prepared for slight delays and traffic detours due to the Run. The event will begin at 7:00 a.m. and police will begin blocking off some roads starting at 6:45 a.m. No pedestrians other than registered athletes will be allowed on any part of the Newport Pell Bridge during the Run.
The road closures are as follows:
- East Shore Road – From 6:30 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., East Shore Rd. will be closed between the intersection of Conanicus Avenue and the Rt. 138 on/off ramps.
- Conanicus Avenue – From 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., Conanicus Ave. will be closed from the Jamestown Golf Course north to the Rt. 138 on-ramp (Newport Pell Bridge).
Newport Pell Bridge
- Motoring travel on the bridge will be reduced to a single alternating lane both westbound (from Newport) and eastbound (from Jamestown) from 7:00 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. During this time, commercial motor vehicles (trucks) and buses will be restricted from traveling over the Newport Bridge heading eastbound.
- Farewell Street – From 7:15 a.m.- 8:45 a.m., Farewell St. will be closed through America’s Cup Avenue
- Van Zandt Avenue – Van Zandt Ave. at the corner of Farewell will also be closed to traffic.
- Expect delays using America’s Cup and Farewell St. until 9:00 a.m.
For more information on the event, its charitable partners, and how to participate, visit www.pellbridgerun.com