Newport Public Schools, in collaboration with the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, will present a series of Community Conversations to discuss how schools and community work together to meet the challenge of improving education in Newport.
Led by local facilitators consisting of parents, students, educators, and community members from the Students & Partners Acting Collaboratively for Educational Success (SPACES) committee who have undergone community conversation training led by the Nellie Mae Education Foundation trainers, the groups will meet for four consecutive weeks, in five different locations around town, to discuss the following topics:
- How have schools affected our lives, and how do they affect our community?
- What do we want our graduates to know and be able to do?
- How can we embrace racial and ethnic diversity?
- Making a difference – What can we do in our community?
These community conversations are being held to include a wide-range of community stakeholders in open and frank discussions about Newport Public Schools, with the following goals:
- Improving parent/guardian and family engagement, empowerment, and voice;
- Improve communications within and among the school community, the district, and the wider Newport Community;
- Create a shared understanding and improve the implementation of student-centered learning across the Newport School community;
- Increase student and staff voice to participate in decision making;
- Increase climate and culture within the Newport Public Schools community.
Locations and Dates:
Boys & Girls Club, 95 Church Street – Monday, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. 10/30, 11/6, 11/13 & 11/20
Pell School, 35 Dexter Street – Monday, 6:00-8:00 p.m. 10/10, 11/6, 11/13 & 11/20
Florence Gray Center, 1 Shimoda Way – Wednesday, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. 10/24, 11/1, 11/8 & 11/15
Newport Public Library, 300 Spring Street – Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. – Noon 10/25, 11/1, 11/8 & 11/15
St. Joseph’s Church, 79-93 Broadway – Thursday, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. 10/26, 11/2, 11/9 & 11/16
If childcare and/or transportation is needed, please contact Cathy Nash at (401) 619-5376 or Marcin Rembisz at (401) 619-5384 two days prior to the meeting date. Light refreshments prepared by the students of the Newport Area Career and Technical Center, will be provided. These conversations are open to all member of the public.