Ever wondered how Thomas Jefferson spent his holidays or what a Gilded Age Christmas tree might have looked like? These 20 historic houses — hand picked by 10Best Local Experts from around the country — pull out all the stops for their holiday tours.
The Breakers here in Newport, RI are among those 20 nominees.
“Nothing showcases the “Gilded Age” like The Breakers. This National Historic Landmark has been dubbed the “grandest” of the summer cottages located in Newport, R.I. The 70-room Italian Renaissance- style palazzo was inspired by the 16th century palaces of Genoa and Turin and commissioned by Cornelius Vanderbilt II in 1885. During the holiday months, The Breakers is the most elaborate of the three “Christmas at the Newport Mansions” and will be adorned with a village of gingerbread houses and mantelpiece decorations designed by area garden clubs.”
The Breakers is currently ranked #11 of 20.
VOTE: Best Historic Home Tour
Vote once per day for your favorite historic home tour now through Monday, December 21 at noon ET.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend
- AARP Analysis: COVID-19 deaths and cases in Rhode Island nursing homes increased from August to September