Ever wondered how Thomas Jefferson spent his holidays or what a Gilded Age Christmas tree might have looked like? These 20 historic houses — hand picked by 10Best Local Experts from around the country — pull out all the stops for their holiday tours.
The Breakers here in Newport, RI are among those 20 nominees.
“Nothing showcases the “Gilded Age” like The Breakers. This National Historic Landmark has been dubbed the “grandest” of the summer cottages located in Newport, R.I. The 70-room Italian Renaissance- style palazzo was inspired by the 16th century palaces of Genoa and Turin and commissioned by Cornelius Vanderbilt II in 1885. During the holiday months, The Breakers is the most elaborate of the three “Christmas at the Newport Mansions” and will be adorned with a village of gingerbread houses and mantelpiece decorations designed by area garden clubs.”
The Breakers is currently ranked #11 of 20.
VOTE: Best Historic Home Tour
Vote once per day for your favorite historic home tour now through Monday, December 21 at noon ET.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination