Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Friday, July 15.
🌊 On this day in 1876, Margaret Van Alen Bruguiére, also known as Daisy Van Alen, was born in Newport. While the name may not be familiar to many, the socialite, art collector, and philanthropist was considered by many during the 1940s, ’50s, and 60s as the leader of Newport’s social scene.
🌊 Tyler Romero shares with What’sUpNewp why he was running for Newport City Council At-Large, and why he’s now withdrawing from the race
🌊 The man found dead earlier this week off the coast of Newport in a kayaking incident has been identified as an East Providence man.
🌊 WUN’s Frank O’Donnell caught up Rus Anderson, star of The Rocket Man Show, which comes to the Providence Performing Arts Center this Saturday.
🌊 WUN’s Ken Abrams spoke to Michael Friedman, owner of Mulligan’s Island in Cranston, and Doug Woolverton, a member of Victor Wainright’s band, ahead of this weekend’s Rhode Island Blues Fest and Nashville RI Country Fest. Interview
🌊 The Newport Democratic City Committee has endorsed candidates for Rhode Island’s 1st Congressional District, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, General Treasurer, and Attorney General.
🌊 The Newport Folk Festival is just one week away. The schedule and map have been released for the sold-out event and can now be found in the Newport Folk App.
🌊 There’s a new event coming to Newport in September – Newport Oktoberfest at Fort Adams on September 18.
🌊 Tournament Play begins today on the Center Court of the Infosys Hall Of Fame Open. One doubles semifinal will be followed by 2 singles quarterfinals. Tennis begins at 11 am. A recap of Thursday’s play can be found here.
🌊 What’sUpNewp will host a live virtual conversation with Newport Mayor Jeanne Marie Napolitano on July 20 at 12 pm and with Newport School Superintendent Colleen Burns Jermain on July 27 at 1:30 pm. Have a question for either or both? Email them to us at Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 80. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Patchy fog after 2 am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 64. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Tomorrow: Patchy fog before 7 am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
- Tomorrow Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: S wind 5 to 7 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the evening. Patchy fog after 3 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 67°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:24 am | Sunset: 8:17 pm | 14 hours & 52 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 9:46 am & 10:12 pm | Low tide at 3:33 am & 3:18 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 16.2 days, 98% lighting.
Things To Do
- 5:15 am: Sunrise Concert with Harpist Emily Levin at the Chinese Tea House
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open – Singles Quarterfinals, Doubles Semifinal at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 10 am: Summer Stories at Whitehorne House Museum
- 10 am: Free Town Fridays at Coggeshall Farm
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Rogues and Scoundrels
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Colony House
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 4 pm to 12 am: Hellenic Fest at St. Spyridon Church
- 4:30 pm: Bud Grafting Workshop with Nick Castrataro
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 6 pm: Summer Art Party at Newport Art Museum
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: British Choir Festival Concert at St. John the Evangelist
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 8 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 8 pm: Newport Classical presents Opera Night: La bohème at The Breakers
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: John & Joanne at 6:30 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Dockside: Live music at 9 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Neal McCarthy Duo from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 3 pm, The Godfather: Part II at 7 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Landing: John Erikson at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: The Dick Clarks from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Chopville at 9 pm
- Newport Classical: Sunrise Concert with Harpist Emily Levin at 5:15 am at Chinese Tea House, Opera Night: La bohème at 8 pm at The Breakers
- O’Brien’s Pub: John Erikson at 4:30 pm, DJ Remedy (video DJ) from 10 pm to close
- Officer’s Club: Country Mile Band at 5:30 pm
- One Pelham East: Hit Play Band at 8:30 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Deck Restaurant & Bar: Michael Johnson Trio at 5 pm, DJ Gian at 9 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 2 pm to 5 pm, Eric Fontana from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
- Zelda’s: Randy Robbins from 9 pm to midnight
City & Government
- Tiverton: Tiverton Solar Ordinance Advisory Committee at 6:30 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
We’ll See You Out There
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.