>> Governor Dan McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health yesterday announced that approximately 5,500 new COVID vaccination appointments will be made available this morning at 9 am to those currently eligible for the vaccine.
Additionally, the Governor announced that beginning today, people who are 16 years of age and older, who live in one of eight hardest-hit ZIP codes covering parts of Providence, Cranston, North Providence, and all of Pawtucket and Central Falls, will be able to register for vaccination appointments at State-run vaccination sites and participating pharmacy locations. [Full Story]
>> “Swinburne”, a home on Pelham Street in Newport that was once owned by 19th-century Rhode Island State Legislator and Mayor of Newport, William Swinburne, recently sold for $4.55 million. The sale of 115 Pelham Street is the second-highest sale in Newport County this year. [Full Story]
>> WUN’s columnist Gerry Goldstein’s latest is here – Gerry Goldstein: A time for talking up our language
>> New in Newp: Eileen on Thames will host a grand opening at 452 Thames Street on Saturday. [Details]
>> Heather Hole Strout, Executive Director of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, will join What’s Up Newp at noon today. We’ll chat about all that’s happening, new, and to do at the MLK Center, as well as preview 401Gives, Rhode Island’s state-wide giving day that’s coming up on Thursday, April 1. [Watch]
Have a great Tuesday,
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Tuesday, March 30
~ Happy Birthday today to Susan Zinno, Brian Lima, Matt Hadfield, Sarah Harkness, Andrea Flax, Christopher McDonough, and Joyce Poulter!
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 50.
- Tonight – Becoming cloudy, with a low around 47.
- Gale Warning until March 29, 06:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today -WNW wind 18 to 20 kt, with gusts as high as 39 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WNW wind 7 to 12 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Current Water Temperature: 41°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:30 am | Sunset: 7:09 pm | 12 hours and 39 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 9:45 am & 10:11 pm | Low tide at 3:13 am and 3:16 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 16 days, 98% lighting.
Things To Do
- 8 am – Community Yoga Class with MLK Center
- 2 pm to 6 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market at Sandywood Center for the Arts
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 5 pm – Newport City Council
- 6 pm – Newport Tree Commission
- 6 pm – Tiverton School Committee
Live on WUN (watch on our Facebook Page and website)
- 12 pm: A conversation with Heather Strout, Executive Director of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
The Latest What’s Up Newp Headlines
‘Swinburne’ on Pelham Street in Newport sells for $4.55 million
- Newport’s school nurses describe the stress of keeping students, teachers safe during a pandemic [The Public’s Radio]
- URI College of Pharmacy leads northeast, among best in the nation in postdoctoral residency placement rate [URI Today]
- The Biden administration is moving to sharply increase offshore wind energy along the East Coast [AP]
The Latest COVID-19 Data
Support our newsroom
Delivering worthwhile local news is truly a community-wide effort. It takes a dedicated crew and a loyal readership working together to make it happen. If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us today!
When you support What’s Up Newp, you support your community.