Welcome to What’s Up Newp’s Event Calendar for Newport County!
This community events calendar is brought to you by Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant.
- This event has passed.
Touro Synagogue: 7 Tours Daily, FREE for Newport residents, active duty military & kids
August 9, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pmVaries. Check website for details
Touro Synagogue, a National Historic Site, is open to the public 5 days a week in August, with 7 tours offered daily. Visit the oldest synagogue in the United States and learn why Touro Synagogue is an architectural masterpiece of the colonial era and why it stands as a symbol of religious freedom for all Americans.
TripAdvisor reviewers rate Touro Synagogue as #4 out of 97 “Things to Do in Newport,” with 95% giving a rating of either “Excellent” or “Very Good.”
In addition to the award-winning presentations by knowledgeable and engaging guides, visitors may explore two floors of interactive exhibits at the Loeb Visitors Center, and enjoy the beautiful gardens and grounds, steps from Washington Square, in the heart of historic Newport.
Touro Synagogue Foundation is also pleased to share that FREE tours for Newport residents are back, after the pandemic hiatus. Complimentary admission is also extended to active duty military personnel and children 12 and younger.
SITE TOUR SCHEDULE:
The site will be open to the public from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, with 7 tours offered daily, every 45 minutes.
-First tour: 10:00 am
-Last tour: 2:30 pm
(closed every Wednesday & Saturday).
SPECIAL NOTE: Synagogue Tours will NOT be offered on Sun. Aug. 21 due to a special event, nor will the Loeb Visitors Center be open.
SITE TOUR DETAILS:
– All tickets are sold on site at the Loeb Visitor Center (no advance reservations).
– Enter through the courtyard of the Loeb Visitors Center at 52 Spring Street, between Touro & Barney Streets.
– Ticket prices, which are discounted for seniors, children and Newport residents on the “Hours & Admissions” page on the website (click “Plan a Visit”).
– City of Newport residents must provide proof of residency for free admission to the synagogue, where the history presentations take place, and to view the Loeb Visitor Center exhibits. Active duty military must provide ID.
– Schedule updates may be found on the website or on the Touro Synagogue Facebook page.
Colonial Jewish Walking Tours are offered at 11:00 am on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays. Visit this page for details & reservations:
NOTE: The Walking Tour WILL be offered on Sun. Aug. 21
Photo by Josh Edenbaum.