What’s Up Newp’s content is free to read, and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way.
It takes just 30 seconds and you can choose the amount.
The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here.
Subscribe to our newsletter
>> Looking for a new gig, job, or career? There are more than 160 job opportunities available this week in the Newport area. See our weekly job opportunity roundup here.
>> Yesterday, the Eastern Rhode Island Conservation District (ERICD) announced it was awarded an urban agriculture conservation grant through a partnership with the National Association of Conservation Districts and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service to boost technical capacity nationwide. With the funding, ERICD will install a pollinator garden at the Portsmouth AgInnovation Farm, located at Cloverbud Ranch in Portsmouth. Future on-site program activities include workshops, nutrition education with community partners, ‘Pollinator Month’ activities, educational signage, and trail walks. Full Story
>> In 2018, 2019, and 2020 What’s Up Newp was named “Best Local News Blog-Statewide” by Rhode Island Monthly and their readers. We hope that while you fill out your Best of Rhode Island ballot this month, that you’ll consider adding our name in once again for “Best Local News Blog-Statewide”. We appreciate your consideration and support. Don’t forget to vote for all of your favorite Rhode Island businesses before May arrives.
>. Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea will join What’s Up Newp today at 1 pm for a live virtual video conversation. Wath live as it happens on whatsupnewp.com.
>> Meet the newest member of the Salve Regina family….
In the coming months, the Salve Regina University campus community will meet the newest member of the Salve Regina family: a 5-month-old Labrador retriever who has been selected as the University’s first-ever community resource dog. Story via Salve Today
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Wednesday, April 7
~ Happy Birthday today to Jay G. Edwards, Alexander Fraioli, Chelsea Rodrigues, and Melissa Mae Clark.
- Today – Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming north after midnight.
- Today – NNW wind around 6 kt becoming NE in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:17 am | Sunset: 7:18 pm | 13 hours of sun.
- High tide at 5:19 am & 5:43 pm | Low tide at 11:58 am.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 25 days, 23% lighting.
Things To Do
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Madama Butterfly: The Met
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live-Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
City & Government
- 5 pm – Newport City Council
- 6 pm – Middletown Planning Board
- 3 pm – Portsmouth School Committee – Personnel Subcommittee
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Harbor Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Melville Park Committee
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Now Hiring: 160+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (April 6)
- What Sold: 35 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 29 – April 4)
- Newport Restaurant Week returns April 9 – 18 with crave-worthy deals
- Home on Plimpton Road in Westerly sells for $1.95 million
- Obituary: Maureen E. “Moe” Martin
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Newp does not have a paywall and there’s no subscription fee to access our content. We don’t hold important news and information hostage until you pay us to read it.
Our locally owned, independent newsroom runs on advertising from small locally owned, independent businesses and reader support. If you value our coverage, please join as a What’s Up Newp Supporter today. Any amount helps, and just $5/month means more than you’d think. Thank you.
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
Around The Web
- Yahoo Life – ‘Pure Love’: Middle Schooler Raises Money for Local Animal Shelter By Letting People Pet Her Dog
- Uprise RI – Greenleaf Compassionate Care Center workers vote to unionize
- Rep. Cortvriend – Rep. Cortvriend hosts Zoom ‘Talks with Terri’ with Congressman Cicilline
- DEM – DEM Environmental Police Warn Anglers About the Dangers of Cold Water, Urge Them to Wear a Life Jacket when Fishing