In our ongoing Women’s History Month series, Frank Prosnitz features Ruth Buzzi … or is that Gladys Ormphby.
WUN columnist Gerry Goldstein is thinking, seeing, and hearing spring – Gerry Goldstein: Spring is in the air, literally.
With sawdust dancing in the air to the high-pitched whine of the two-stroke chainsaw as the faint smells of burning pine mixed with gasoline, Taylor Olson literally carves out an artistic niche along the side of the road in the rural village of Carolina. WUN columnist Thom Cahir with a feature on a local sculpture who is mastering his craft – Cellini With a Chainsaw
This Thursday, March 18 at 5 pm, the City Council is holding a workshop to discuss the options of implementing a homestead exemption in Newport.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Monday, March 15, 2021
- Special Weather Statement
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 31. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a northwest wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 17. North wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Gale Warning until March 15, 12:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – NNW wind 15 to 18 kt, with gusts as high as 33 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind 7 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 23 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 38°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:55 am | Sunset: 6:53 pm
- High tide at 10:03 am & 10:20 pm | Low tide at 3:19 am & 3:22 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 2 days, 3% lighting
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled.
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Gustav Stickley: American Craftsman
- Long Live Rock: Celebrate The Chaos
- The Women’s Adventure Film Tour
City & Government
- 6 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 6 pm – Newport Energy and Environment Commission
- 6:30 pm – Newport Planning Board
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 7 pm – Tiverton Library Trustees
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Popular Stories Right Now
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Cherry”
- List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
- You can now stay the night in Tiverton’s Essex Memorial Library
- Newport Folk and Jazz Artists dominate Grammy Awards
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
That’s going to do it for us this morning, have a great Monday.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library