The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here. Sign up below to receive this, and more, in your inbox on a regular basis.
Good Morning & Happy St. Joseph’s Day,
>> It was a good news day for those who are waiting to get the vaccine. Rhode Island plans to open up eligibility to all adults 16+ on April 19. Story
>> Thursday was also a good news day for Newport Folk & Newport Jazz Festival fans. The festivals will return to Fort Adams in some way this summer. Story
>> New guidance/restrictions begin today for businesses and organizations across Rhode Island. For more info, visit www.reopeningri.com.
>> Today is a Distance Learning Day for Rogers High School. Story
>> Middletown Town Council President Robert J. Sylvia has resigned from the Town Council. A member of the Town Council for 13 plus years, Sylvia was the council president for the last seven. Before that, he was chairman of the town’s Personnel Committee. Story
>> Senator Lou DiPalma is on Governor McKee’s shortlist for Rhode Island Lieutenant Governor. WPRI reports.
>> Flo’s in Middletown and Portsmouth opened for the season yesterday. They are kicking off the season by being open weekly for now Thursday – Sunday.
>> Correction: Last night we incorrectly spelled vaccine in our newsletter headline, we apologize for this error.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Friday, March 19, 2021
~ Happy Birthday today to Tara Gragg, Sandy Winters, Stephanie Tetzner, and Kevin Des Chenes!
- Today – A slight chance of snow before 7 am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a north wind 21 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 26. North wind 7 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Gale Warning until March 19, 11:00 AM EDT
- Today – N wind 18 to 21 kt, with gusts as high as 35 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – N wind 6 to 9 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:49 am | Sunset: 6:57 pm
- High tide at 12:09 am & 12:40 pm | Low tide at 5:48 am & 5:43 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 5 days, 27% lighting
Things To Do
- 4:50 pm – Newport Winter Foodies Stroll
- 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm – Chanler Yurts at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Frida La Vida: Great Art on Screen
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Long Live Rock: Celebrate The Chaos
- The Women’s Adventure Film Tour
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled
The Latest WUN Headlines
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Robert Sylvia resigns from Middletown Town Council
- Brian C. Jones: Death empties one home; a church fills another
- Newport Folk Festival, Newport Jazz Festival planning to return this summer
- Rhode Island plans to open up vaccination eligibility to all adults age 16 and older on April 19
- Obituary | William J. Meteraud Jr.
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
East Bay RI – Football is back: Portsmouth overwhelms Westerly, 24-7
Spring (ok, the Spring Equinox) arrives tomorrow morning at 5:37 am! The forecast for the next several days certainly looks like we’ll be leaving winter behind as we change seasons.
- Saturday – Sunny, with a high near 48.
- Sunday – Sunny, with a high near 50.
- Monday – Mostly sunny, with a high near 50.
- Tuesday – Mostly sunny, with a high near 53.
- Wednesday – Partly sunny, with a high near 51.
- Thursday – Partly sunny, with a high near 52.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now