What’s Up In Newport County Today
Tuesday, December 19
???? This past week, a team of local high school students installed a ‘Black Lives Matter’ decal on the basketball court at Rogers High School. WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with the full story ‘Black Lives Matter’ at Rogers High School
???? Bernadyn also has a look at the 23 houses that sold in Newport County last week.
???? The Newport Health Equity Zone has partnered with Smart Growth America and its LOCUS Coalition of Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors to “engage the city and current North End residents to develop an Equitable Development Plan for the North End of Newport, fostering an inclusive vision for growth that centers equity and will support, rather than displace, current North End residents”.
???? Lieutenant Governor Dan McKee will join What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation on Monday, January 25 at 1 pm. We’ll chat with McKee about the Gubernatorial transition and what his goals and plans are as Governor of Rhode Island. We’ll also chat about his efforts to support small businesses during COVID-19 and more.
???? As the Presidential Inauguration for Joe Biden draws near, Salve Regina University looks back at when Dr. Jill Biden gave Salve Regina’s commencement address. She spoke at the commencement for Salve Regina’s class of 2011 on May 11, 2011, and she also received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree.
???? This Wednesday at 5 pm, Newport City Council is holding a Mid-Year Budget Review. The workshop will include a presentationfrom the City Manager and the Finance Department, as well as a discussion on homestead exemption.
???? Happy Birthday today to Andy Donnelly, Alexandra Breshinsky, Danielle Breshinsky, Tasha Breshinsky, Rose Marie Escobar, and Peter Davis!
???? As of Friday, December 15, the Rhode Island Department of Health reports the following COVID-19 data;
- Tests Prior Day: 19,211
- New Positive Cases: 901
- Percent Positive Prior Day: 4.7%
- People Hospitalized: 384
- New Fatalities: 9
Cumulative Totals Since Begining of Pandemic
- Total Tests: 2,242,295
- Total Positive Cases: 104,443
- Total Fatalities: 2,005
- First Doses Administered: 41,997
- Second Doses Administered: 9,243
- People Fully Vaccinated: 9,243
- Total Doses Administered: 51,220
*Note the next data update from Rhode Island Department of Health will come around noon today.
???? This newsletter is free to read, but it’s not free to create.If you find that this newsletter from What’s Up Newp helps make your morning a little better, we’d love some help from you. You can support what we do around here by becoming a What’s Up Newp Supporter – one-time, monthly, or annual support opportunities are available.
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Newport Health Equity Zone partners with Smart Growth America to help bring equitable development to the North End
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Today in Newport County
- Today – Increasing clouds, with a high near 41. West wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. West wind 11 to 13 mph.
- Today – WNW wind 7 to 10 kt becoming WSW in the afternoon. Increasing clouds. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – W wind around 11 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F.
???? Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:07 am | Sunset: 4:46 pm
- High tide at 12:03 am & 12:20 pm | Low tide at 5:15 am & 5:29 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 6 days, 33% lighting
???? Things To Do
???? JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
???? City & Government
- 11 am – Little Compton Free Public Library Trust
- 12 pm – Newport and Bristol County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau dba Discover Newport
- 1:45 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 3:30 pm – Little Compton School Committee
- 5 pm – Portsmouth Water and Fire District
- 5:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 6 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 6 pm – Tiverton School Committee
- 6 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 6 pm – Middletown Library Board of Trustees
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 7 pm – Portsmouth School Committee
- 7 pm – Tiverton Conservation Commission
- 7 pm- Portsmouth Melville Park Committee
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
We’ll See You Out There
The Latest From WUN
- Grammy-Nominated Artist Leigh Nash playing Club Passim Tuesday, November 2
- Hocus Pocus 2 begins filming in Rhode Island
- Kerri Powers and Stefan Couture playing Blackstone River Theatre October 30th
- “Creatures of Imagination” exhibition opens Oct. 21 at Salve Regina’s Hamilton Gallery
- What Sold: 24 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Oct. 11 – 15)