What’s Up In Newport County Today
Tuesday, January 12
by Ryan M. Belmore
Want to make sure you never miss another story like this from What’s Up Newp? Sign up to receive our free newsletters in your inbox every morning!
👉 The Newport Democratic City Committee, which now is being led by Chair Susan Taylor, is expressing its support for the leadership of Congressman David Cicilline to “hold President Trump accountable for his role in inciting the mob attack on our nation’s Capitol and the legitimate Constitutional process underway there on January 6th:.
👉 Attention Artists: The Rhode Island State Council on the Arts is requesting qualifications for a new public art commission for the Garrahy Judicial Complex parking garage. Through a competitive selection process, one artist or team of artists will be chosen to create a large-scale temporary mural, which will be on display for 5 years. There is no fee to apply, and the budget has been set at $98,000.
👉 Secretary of State Nellie M. Gorbea is outlining key information and dates for Rhode Island’s special referenda election on March 2, 2021. The seven referenda questions on the ballot involve authorizing the state to borrow money through bonds and temporary notes to make capital investments in several different areas.
👉 Secretary Gorbea will join What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation on Wednesday at 2 pm. Tune in to our website or Facebook Page to watch the conversation live and to participate in the conversation (bring those questions).
👉 Protecting Portsmouth from climate change, supporting single-payer health insurance and making our roads safer are among a few of the legislative priorities members of the Portsmouth Town Council and town staff are pressing for 2021. Portsmouth Times reports.
👉 RIDOH reported yesterday 568 new positive cases of COVID-19, 8 new fatalities, and 399 hospitalizations. According to RIDOH, 31,077 people have received 1 dose of the vaccine, 4,642 people have received two doses of the vaccine/are fully vaccinated.
👉 46 states currently have travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.
🎉 Happy Birthday today to Bethany Connerton Audette, Gregory Fater, Lindsey Fusaro, and Nikolas Elliot!
The latest headlines from What’s Up Newp
Portsmouth Free Public Library to present ‘Slavery in Colonial Rhode Island’ with Fred Zilian
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com. Have a news tip, story idea, suggestion, celebration, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
What’s happening In Newport County today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 41. West wind around 7 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 30. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Wednesday – Sunny, with a high near 40. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
- Wednesday Night – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
- Today – WNW wind around 6 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming NW around 6 kt in the evening. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Wednesday – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming WSW 5 to 7 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Wednesday Night – WSW wind 6 to 8 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F.
🌞 Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:10 am | Sunset: 4:38 pm
- High tide at 6:52 am & 7:14 pm | Low tide at 1:09 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 28 days, 2% lighting
🎄 Things To Do
- 11:30 am – McGrath’s Clambakes Grab ‘n Go Lunch at MLK Center
- 2 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
🎟 JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
🏘 City & Government
- 10 am – Tiverton Prevention Coalition
- 1 pm – Little Compton Prevention Coalition
- 3 pm – Middletown School Committee Budget Subcommittee
- 4:30 pm – Middletown Beach Commission
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 5 pm – Jamestown Library Board
- 6 pm – Tiverton School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Planning Board
- 7 pm – North Tiverton Fire District
- 7 pm – Little Compton Beach Commission
- 7 pm – Jamestown Conservation Commission
- Nothing scheduled.
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by @maddilenss – noon in Newport
Tag your photos with #WhatsUpNewp for a chance to be featured by us.