|What’s Up In Newport County Today|
Saturday, January 23
By Ryan M. Belmore
???? Lieutenant Governor Dan McKee will join What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation on Monday, January 25 at 1 pm. We’ll chat with McKee about the Gubernatorial transition and what his goals and plans are as Governor of Rhode Island. We’ll also chat about his efforts to support small businesses during COVID-19 and more
???? Newport Mayor Jeanne Marie Napolitano appeared on 12 News Now at 4 yesterday. She talks about the St. Patrick’s Day parade, North End development, and what summer might look like. Watch the interview here.
???? WPRI caught up with Prudence Island residents to discuss the fire that destroyed 3 homes.
???? I joined The Rhode Show yesterday for a fun conversation on The Rhody Roundup. If you care to watch it, you can here.
???? As part of a series of Seasonal Wildlife Solution Sessions, DEM will be hosting a conversation about Nocturnal Nuisances – Coyotes, Foxes and Fishers on February 3. Read more about it here.
???? Rhode Island Monthly with a snapshot of the Newport Congregational Church Sanctuary.
???? Speaking of Rhode Island Monthly, last week I read a story they did on adorable outdoors apres-ski dining in Providence. Based on their story, my wife and I went to Chez Pascal and Wurst Kitchen last night for dinner, it was absolutely delicious and so much fun. The restaurant turned its patio into an Alpine adventure with a menu of hearty one-pot comfort food, après ski cocktails, and amaro. Highly recommend.
???? In big real estate news, Lila Delman has joined Compass, a national real estate brokerage.
???? Representative William W. O’Brien (D-Dist. 54, North Providence) will be introducing a resolution calling for the end to COVID-19 mandated restaurant closing times.
???? In Portsmouth, the ACLU is suing the town over a political sign ban, Portsmouth Times reports.
???? On Friday, the RIDOH reported the following COVID-19 data;
- Tests Prior Day: 18,546
- New Positive Cases: 829
- Percent Positive Prior Day: 4.5%
- People Hospitalized: 352
- New Fatalities: 7
Cumulative Totals Since Begining of Pandemic
- Total Tests: 2,363,131
- Total Positive Cases: 109,735
- Total Fatalities: 2,083
- First Doses Administered: 52,925
- Second Doses Administered: 13,145
- People Fully Vaccinated: 13,145
- Total Doses Administered: 66,070
???? Happy Birthday today to Pia Hogue, Rachelle Sylvia, Erin Moitoza, Leigh Kirmil, and Brian Ashness!
Let’s dive into what else is happening, new, and to do out there…
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Prada Cup round robins conclude; repairs to PATRIOT progress
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Today in Newport County
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Cloudy through mid-morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 30. Blustery, with a northwest wind 11 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
- Sunday – Sunny, with a high near 32. Wind chill values as low as -1. Breezy, with a northwest wind around 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
- Sunday Night – Mostly clear, with a low around 19. Northwest wind 11 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Gale Warning in effect from January 23, 01:00 PM EST until January 24, 06:00 PM EST
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – NW wind 13 to 17 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NW wind around 17 kt, with gusts as high as 30 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Sunday – WNW wind around 18 kt, with gusts as high as 29 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Sunday Night – NW wind 13 to 16 kt decreasing to 9 to 12 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F.
???? Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:04 am | Sunset: 4:51 pm
- High tide at 3:20 am & 3:44 pm | Low tide at 9:55 am & 9:11 pm
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 9 days, 70% lighting
???? Things To Do
- 9 am to 12 pm – Aquidneck Growers’ Market at Newport Gateway Center
- 1 pm: Newport Historical Society Walking Tour: Discover Colonial Newport
- 4 pm – Children’s Mixed Media: Sledding Polar Bear at Created Purpose
???? JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
???? City & Government
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
|We’ll See You Out There|
???? @mindyb_photos | Want to see your photo featured here? Tag your Instagram photos with #whatsupnewp.