What’s Up In Newport County Today
Wednesday, December 30
By Ryan M. Belmore
As this bizarre year ends, we have compiled our top lists. To help us, we asked some current legislators, current and former general officeholders, retired journalists, and individuals active in some of the state’s most connected non-profits.
Over the next few days, we will list, beginning today, the people to watch in 2021 (today), the people to watch in Newport County in 2021 (tomorrow), the top stories of 2020 (Thursday), and on New Year’s Day we will speculate on the important stories and issues to expect in 2021.Of course, we also have plenty of lists from our lifestyle team as well. Here are a few that we’ve already published (more to come);
- What’s Up Concert Photos: Top Pics of 2020
- What’s Up 2020 Top 10: The Movies
- The Best of the [Worst] Year: Our favorite books of 2020 and a preview of 2021
Speaking of end of the year roundups, SALVEtoday is sharing the top 10 stories of the year from its news coverage.
At approximately 1:35 pm yesterday, the U.S. Coast Guard Northeast announced on Twitter that they were suspending their search of Newport Harbor for a ‘possible person’ pending further information.
Anna Burnely from the Mission Group (Nomi Park, Mission, TSK, Winner Winner) is among 25 Chefs who shared their favorite moments of 2020 with Forbes.
During the month of December, 40 local musicians held virtual house concerts via Facebook Live and raised a record $28,695 for local homeless shelters through the efforts of Singing For Shelter.
Fashion designer Pierre Cardin died on Tuesday at the age of 98. In 2017, The Preservation Society of Newport County hosted an exhibition at Rosecliff titled “Pierre Cardin: 70 Years of Innovation”. The Preservation Society posted a tribute to him on Facebook on Tuesday.
RIDOH reported yesterday1,095 new COVID-19 positive cases, 18 new fatalities, and 423 hospitalizations.
If you haven’t already, join us on social media! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Happy Birthday today to Lucy Fernandez, Meredith Brower, Jamie Horoszko, Dakota Cowell, Patrick Baker, Jessica Chase, Stephen Correia, and Tom Stewart!
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The latest headlines from What’s Up Newp
Top This: People to Watch in 2021 – statewide
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
A look at what’s happening In Newport County today
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Partly sunny, with a high near 44. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 11 to 16 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – Rain likely, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Breezy, with a southwest wind 18 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from December 30, 03:00 PM EST until December 31, 07:00 AM EST
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SW 9 to 14 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 22 kt. Partly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SW wind 16 to 18 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. Rain likely, mainly after 4am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 46°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:12 am | Sunset: 4:25 pm
- High tide at 7:36 am & 8:01 pm | Low tide at 12:40 am & 1:48 pm
- Moon: Full Moon, 15 days, 100% lighting
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 9 am – Winter Art Camp at Created Purpose
- 10 am to 3 pm – Guided Tours of Fort Adams State Park
- 12 pm to 5 pm – Hot Chocolate Bar at The Chanler
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 10 am – Jamestown Housing Authority
- Nothing scheduled.
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by jilllewandoski on Instagram.
Tag your photos with #WhatsUpNewp for a chance to be featured by us.