What’s Up In Newport County Today
Tuesday, December 15
What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
~ A Winter Storm Watch is in effect for our area Wednesday evening through Thursday afternoon. Expect heavy snow, with total snow accumulations of 8 to 12″ possible.
~ A temporary memorial has been set up in Perrotti Park to honor long-time Harbor Master Tim Mills.
~ Santa is back visiting Newport neighborhoods tonight, look for him in the area of Fort Adams and the 5th Ward. On Thursday, he will wrap up his tour with a visit to North End Commercial, The Point, Historic Hill, Memorial Boulevard, and Bellevue Avenue Estates. Full schedule here.
~ Super Shawny, the 10-year-old from Tiverton who was bravely battling an inoperable brain tumor, has passed away.
~ Newport Police yesterday identified the 19-year old victim involved in this past weekends fatal single-car crash
~ Gerry Goldstein is back with his latest column – Gerry Goldstein: An ‘old’ friend takes new stab at writing Santa
~ Wondering what homes sold on your street, in your neighborhood or in Newport County? Tyler Bernadyn has a full round-up of what sold last week here – What Sold: 24 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Dec. 6 – 12)
~ Yesterday, Rhode Island’s Electoral College convened to cast their votes for president and vice president. The state’s four Presidential Electors for 2020 are Elizabeth Jane Beretta-Perik, James A. Diossa, Sabina Matos, and Joseph Robert Paolino, Jr. All four electors cast their votes for Joseph R. Biden and Kamala D. Harris.
~ Sen. DiPalma’s commission to study and evaluate the state’s electric and natural gas distribution and transmission infrastructure meets on Monday
~ ecoRI news reports National Grid Pressed About Portsmouth LNG Facility
~ Performers from Salve Regina’s Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance will holding a Christmas Virtual Chorus Concert via Zoom.
~ Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
~ Happy Birthday today to John Dyer, Jay Sweet, Adrienne Haylor, and Ally Bierce!
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
~ 45 states and Puerto Rico now have travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.
~ RIDOH reported yesterday 552 new positive cases prior day, 7.2% positive prior day, 20 new fatalities, and 433 hospitalizations.
~ Rhode Island hospitals were authorized to begin vaccinating frontline workers against COVID-19.
~ House COVID-19 Vaccine Task Force meets today for presentations on vaccine distribution
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Special Weather Statement
- Winter Storm Watch in effect from December 16, 07:00 PM EST until December 17, 01:00 PM EST
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 34. Northwest wind 13 to 16 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 24. North wind 9 to 11 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory until December 15, 01:00 PM EST
- Today – NW wind 11 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NW wind 8 to 10 kt becoming N after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 50°F
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:05 am | Sunset: 4:17 pm
- High tide at 7:55 am and 8:18 pm | Low tide at 12:45 am & 8:18 pm
- Moon: New Moon, 0 days, 0% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am – Palmer’s Picks at Jamestown Philomenian Library
- 10 am to 5 pm – Letters to Santa at Bowen’s Wharf
- 2 pm to 6 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Chris & Diane Myers
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 10 am – Fort Adams Foundation
- 11 am – Newport Tourism Marketing Management Authority
- 2 pm – Portsmouth School Committee – Capital Planning Subcommittee
- 3 pm – Little Compton School Committee
- 4 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 4 pm – Portsmouth School Committee – Health & Wellness Subcommittee
- 4:30 pm – Little Compton School Committee
- 5 pm – Portsmouth Water and Fire District
- 6 pm – Middletown Library Board of Trustees
- 6 pm –Tiverton School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Portsmouth School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Planning Board
- 6:30 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 7 pm – Jamestown Zoning Board of Review
- 7 pm – Tiverton Conservation Commission
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Gerry Goldstein: An ‘old’ friend takes new stab at writing Santa
Temporary memorial set up in Perrotti Park to honor Tim Mills
Letter | Statewide restaurant bailout imperative
Winter Storm Watch issued for Rhode Island, 8 – 12″ of snow expected
Rhode Island’s Electoral College votes for Biden and Harris
What Sold: 24 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Dec. 6 – 12)
What’s Up in Newport County this week: Dec. 14 – 20
Coronavirus Live Updates: COVID-19 in Newport County and Rhode Island
List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
COVID-19 in Rhode Island: The latest data
Newport Police identify victim involved in fatal single-car crash
Potter League for Animals Executive Director, Brad Shear, elected Board Chair for The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement
Lori McKenna Band to Stream Live from Club Passim Friday, Dec. 18
R.I. hospitals authorized to begin vaccinating frontline workers against COVID-19
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
If you appreciate reading trusted local independent news without a paywall, help us keep it that way by becoming a What’s Up Newp supporter.
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by crubinophoto on Instagram
Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.