What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
Sunday, December 20
By Ryan M. Belmore
Happy Sunday! Believe it or not, this is the final full week of 2020.
Despite all of the challenges this year, there is much to be thankful for. As we head towards the end of the year, we want to hear from you. We invite you to share what it is that you are/were thankful for in 2020 and/or share what made 2020 special for you. I know, for me, getting married in July was certainly a highlight. Anyway, email your thoughts to Ryan@whatsupnewp.com, we’ll share what folks have to say as we get closer to 2021.
Common Fence Music will present Aine Minogue, award-winning harpist, singer, arranger, and composer in a live stream concert this evening at 7 pm.
Thinking of watching Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom? Read what WUN’s movie critic Alexander Harrison thought about the film.
Make the most out of this Christmas season, see what Christmas in Newport has scheduled for this week.
The Providence Performing Arts Center (PPAC) is giving the community a FREE holiday gift! PPAC House Organist Peter Edwin Krasinski has pre-recorded a holiday concert called “Holiday Magic on the Mighty Wurlitzer” for all to enjoy.
Last night, my wife and I gave Newport Dine Out a try. Newport Dine Out is a locally-owned take-out food delivery service. We ordered from Salvation Cafe and we were both thoroughly impressed with the entire process – the food was delivered on time, the food was hot and delicious, and the process was easy as can be. A cool feature? They offer delivery from restaurants in Newport, Middletown, and Portsmouth. Find your favorite restaurant on their website and get take-out delivered tonight (we probably will).
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Today – A chance of showers, mainly after 2pm. Patchy fog after 3pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 43. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tonight – A chance of rain, mainly after 11pm. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 36. Light and variable wind becoming northeast 5 to 7 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Today – Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers, mainly after 2pm. Patchy fog after 3pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming NNE around 6 kt after midnight. A chance of rain, mainly after 11pm. Patchy fog. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 47°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:08 am | Sunset: 4:19 pm
- High tide at 12:13 pm | Low tide at 4:53 am & 5:41 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 6 days, 31% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am to 4 pm – A Rough Point Holiday at Doris Duke’s Rough Point
- 10 am to 5 pm – Letters to Santa at Bowen’s Wharf
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 4 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Valerie Larkin & Beth Barron
- 5 pm – Live “Elf” Paint Party with Mermaid Masterpieces
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Timmy May
- 7 pm – Aine Minogue Free Online Concert Sun, Dec 20. 7pm
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
No wind For Christmas Race, but much to analyze for Cup teams in Auckland
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
|We’ll See You Out There|
Photo: andrewj_brooks -“Snowy Newport views”
Reminder: Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.
Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools