What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
Saturday, December 19
By Ryan M. Belmore
Day 3 of the Prada America’s Cup World Series Auckland saw New York Yacht Club American Magic close out racing at the first AC75 class regatta with asecond-place finish overall.
If you missed our live video conversation with Steve Iwanski yesterday,it’s worth a watch. Steve will tell you all about his plans for Charter Books at 8 Broadway.
Breakwaters Cigar & Whiskeyopened yesterdayat 796 Aquidneck Avenue in Middletown.
Diego’s added to their family yesterday. Diego’sEastsideis now openn Wayland Square.
On the market for a new home? Tyler Bernadyn has a look at the14 open houses happeningin Newport County this weekend.Fitch Ratings hasaffirmed the ‘A’ ratingon approximately $48 million of Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority’s (RITBA) toll revenue bonds. The Rating Outlook remains Stable.
Salve Regina’s chapter of Best Buddies Internationalhas been recognizedas Rhode Island’s Outstanding Chapter of the Year for its outstanding commitment, leadership and unwavering dedication to the Best Buddies mission
National Grid Denied Waiver for Portsmouth LNG Facility, ecoRI News reports.
The Rhode Island General Assembly yesterdayapproved a pared-down state budgetfor the 2021 fiscal year.
The Senate yesterdayapproved several judicial appointments, many will help diversify the state court system.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
RIDOHreported yesterday395 new positive cases, 23 new fatalities, and 459 hospitalizations. 1,226 people have received one dose of a vaccine.
Governor Gina Raimondo announced yesterday during her weekly press briefing that the “pause” that Rhode Island has been under for the past three weekswill end on Sunday, December 20.Governor Raimondo then said “we can’t go from pause to flipping a switch” and announced a post-pause phase beginning Monday, December 21st.
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Today –Sunny, with a high near 36. North wind 5 to 8 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon.
- Tonight –Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Southwest wind 3 to 5 mph.
- Today –N wind 5 to 7 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight –Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newportis 48F
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:08am | Sunset: 4:18pm
- High tide at 11:21amand 11:50pm| Low tide at 4:01am & 4:53pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 5days, 22% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 9 am to 12 pm –Aquidneck Growers Marketat Newport Gateway Center
- 10 am to 4 pm –A Rough Point Holidayat Doris Duke’s Rough Point
- 10 am to 5 pm –Letters to Santaat Bowen’s Wharf
- 12 pm –Tiverton Farmers Market: Christmas Pop-Up Market
- 1:30 pm –Holiday Tour: Rogues and Rakes of Bellevue Ave
- 4 pm to 8 pm –Sparkling Lightsat The Breakers
- 4 pm –Crafts with Sue: String Art Ornamentat Created Purpose
- 7 pm –Singing For ShelterHouse Concert: The 40
JPT Film & Event CenterVirtual Screening Room
City & Government
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
American Magic takes 2nd overall At Prada America’s Cup World Series Auckland
For the very latest news and information, visitwww.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll See You Out There
Reminder: Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.
Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!