What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
Saturday, December 12
By Ryan M. Belmore
~ Christmas In Newport announced the winners of the 2020 Christmas in Newport Door Decorating Contest on Friday. Get out there and check out these doorways before Christmas!
~ Looking to dine out or order take-out on Christmas? Here’s our list of what restaurants will be open on Christmas Day
~ The Aquidneck Growers’ Market will take place outside (rain or shine) at the Newport Gateway Center today. Stop by between 9 am – 12 pm for the freshest veggies and goodies you can find.
~ Six residents have thrown their names into consideration for the two vacancies on Newport Planning Board.
~ The United States Post Office at 320 Thames Street has extended their hours today and next Saturday from 9 am to 4 pm (usually they close at 1 pm) to help with those shipping needs.
~ Due to potential rain, the City’ of Newport’s Holly Jolly Drive-Thru initially planned for today at Easton’s Beach has been rescheduled to Sunday, Dec. 13th from 1 – 3 p.m.
~ BedJet, a leading bed climate control system manufacturer headquartered at 17 JT Connell Highway in Newport, announced this week that they have hit a record milestone this year having sold its 100,000th BedJet unit. The milestone is significant to the company because it defies the odds set by the stars of the hit television show Shark Tank who declined to offer funding when the product was featured on the program.
~ Renovations are in full swing in the garden level of Gerety Hall at Salve, where a new eSports facility that will deliver a full-scale, state-of-the-art gaming experience is scheduled to open by the time students return to campus to start the spring semester in January 2021.
~ Speaking of Salve, three of their students secured their place among North America’s top collegiate gamers by finishing third overall and winning $10,000 in scholarships at the Fall 2020 PlayVS College Fortnite Championships.
~ Beginning on Monday, December 21st through Friday, January 8th all schools in the Portsmouth School Department will shift to full distance learning.
~ On December 13, from 4 to 6 pm the Portsmouth PTO and Middle School will host the opening night of a First Annual Drive-Through Winter Wonderland.
~ Despite opposition from Save The Bay, the Coastal Resources Management Council (CRMC) has approved blasting a portion of Narragansett Bay to accommodate the construction of nuclear submarines.
~ Happy Birthday today to Sean Galvin, Charles Kehres, Robert Purdy, Erika Van Pelt, and Gerald Coyne!
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
~ RIDOH reported yesterday 1,216 new positive cases, 6.6% positive rate, 11 new fatalities, and 466 hospitalizations.
~ RIDOH’s Dr. Chan hosted a Facebook Live to answer some common questions about the vaccine yesterday. You can watch it here.
If you appreciate reading trusted local independent news without a paywall, help us keep it that way by becoming a What’s Up Newp supporter.
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Rain likely before noon, then rain after 1 pm. Areas of fog before noon, then areas of fog after 1 pm. High near 53. Calm wind becoming northeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Tonight – A chance of rain, mainly before 9 pm. Areas of fog before 10 pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 52. Southwest wind 10 to 16 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Today – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Rain. Areas of fog before noon, then Areas of fog after 1 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – S wind 9 to 14 kt becoming SW after midnight. A chance of rain, mainly before 9 pm. Areas of fog before 10 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 50°F
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:03 am | Sunset: 4:16 pm
- High tide at 5:19 am and 5:43 pm | Low tide at 11:26 am and 11:07 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 26 days, 10% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 9 am to 12 pm – Aquidneck Growers Market at Newport Gateway Center
- 10 am – A Rough Point Holiday
- 10 am – Pop Tart Gingerbread House at Jamestown Philomenian Library
- 12:15 pm & 2:05 pm – Coastal Queen Narrated Holiday Lighthouse Cruises Departing Bowens’ Wharf
- 1:30 pm – Holiday Tour: Rogues and Rakes of Bellevue Ave
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 4 pm – Crafts with Sue: Christmas Finger Puppet at Created Purpose
- 5 pm – BUNNI 2020 at Coastal Contemporary Gallery
- 6 pm – Marvin Perry Duo at Localz Burger & Cocktails
- 6 pm – Adult Watercolor Painting: Ice Skate at Created Purpose
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Slackwater String Band
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Winners of 2020 Christmas In Newport Doorway Decorating Contest announced
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|We’ll See You Out There|
Photo by moniqueleila ???? ????
Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.
Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck