What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
Monday, December 21
By Ryan M. Belmore
~ The pause has ended in Rhode Island. A reopening phase begins today, here’s what that looks like.
~ Stefan Pryor, Rhode Island’s Secretary of Commerce, will join WUN’s Ryan Belmore for a live virtual video conversation at 1:15 pm on Monday, December 21. Pryor will provide an update on the status of funding for small businesses, chat about financial resources available for small businesses, and they’ll chat about the shop local campaign that has been spearheaded by Rhode Island Commerce.~ ecoRI News reports Land Conservation Key to Protecting Aquidneck Island’s Water
~ Business Insider is out with the priciest homes for sale in every state. At an asking price fo $15.8 million, Newport’s Champ Soleil takes the mention for Rhode Island.
~ Sail Newport will host a virtual conversation at 6 pm this evening that will give you the opportunity to hear from two of the world’s most accomplished sailors – Ken Read and Rich Wilson. Read will analyze the long-awaited America’s Cup racing as only a former America’s Cup skipper, Volvo Ocean Race helmsman and world-class sailor such as he can. Wilson will give his perspective and first-hand experience on the wild, non-stop solo ocean race.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
~ The next COVID-19 data update is expected around noon today.
~ This morning, we’ll also have an updated list of states with travel restrictions upon entry into Rhode Island.
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Dense Fog Advisory until December 21, 09:00 AM EST
- Today – A chance of rain, mainly before 7am. Areas of fog before 3pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 41. North wind 3 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tonight – Patchy fog between 1am and 3am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 33. West wind around 8 mph.
- Today – N wind 5 to 7 kt becoming NNW in the afternoon. A slight chance of rain before 9am. Areas of fog before 3pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – W wind around 7 kt. Patchy fog between 1am and 3am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 47°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:09 am | Sunset: 4:19 pm
- High tide at 12:43 am & 1:04 pm | Low tide at 5:58 am & 6:39 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 6 days, 40% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am to 5 pm – Letters to Santa at Bowen’s Wharf
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: In Tandem
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 10:30 am – Little Compton Town Council
- 4 pm – Portsmouth School Committee – Policy Subcommittee
- 4 pm – Providence Environmental Sustainability Task Force
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee – Ad Hoc School Building Committee
- 5:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 5:30 pm – Tiverton Wastewater District
- 6 pm – Tiverton Open Space Commission
- 6 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Housing Authority
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Watch | WUN-ON-ONE: A conversation with Stefan Pryor, Secretary of Commerce – State of Rhode Island (Dec. 21 at 1:15 pm)
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
We’ll See You Out There
Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)