What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
Friday, December 18
By Ryan M. Belmore
Snowfall totals in Newport County ranged from 2.2″ in Newport to 7.5″ in Tiverton. If you were hoping the snow would stick around for Christmas, you may be out of luck. The current weather forecast has temperatures creeping back up into the mid-40’s beginning Sunday.
Share your snow photos with us! Tag #WhatsUpNewp in your captions, we’ll feature your photos in our Instagram stories and timeline.
Charter Books is opening at 8 Broadway in Newport in early 2021. Steve Iwanski, founder of Charter Books, will join us for a live virtual video conversation at 11 am this morning to tell us more about the store.
Santa will wrap up visiting the neighborhoods of Newport tonight.
Newport Performing Arts Center (a.k.a. “The Opera House) kicks off a virtual music series tonight.
The U.S. Naval War College’s College of Distance Learning hosted their NWC at Naval Postgraduate School graduation in a virtual ceremony honoring 101 students on Dec. 10.ecoRI News with the latest on solar in Portsmouth – Portsmouth Approves Flawed Solar-Siting Ordinance But Intends to Make Changes Later
RWU Law is hosting a contest in honor of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. RI Monthly has more on how Rhode Island students in grades K-12 can enter.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
Governor Raimondo will host her weekly COVID-19 press briefing today at 1 pm. Watch it live on our website or Facebook Page.
RIDOH reported yesterday 951 new positive cases, 12 new fatalities, and 479 hospitalizations.
Newport Fire Chief Brian Dugan provided this week’s COVID-19 update to Newport City Council. If you missed it, you can watch it here.
For the second week in a row, 49 states and the District of Columbia were in the White House task force’s red zone for new cases, with more than 100 new cases per 100,000 residents in the previous week. Rhode Island, Ohio and North Dakota were at the top of the rankings. Hawaii was the only state not in the red zone.
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Special Weather Statement
- Today – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 32. North wind 10 to 14 mph.
- Tonight – Clear, with a low around 21. North wind around 10 mph.
- Today – N wind 9 to 12 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – N wind around 9 kt. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 48F
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:07 am | Sunset: 4:18 pm
- High tide at 10:28 am and 10:55 pm | Low tide at 3:13 am & 4:10 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 4 day, 14% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am to 5 pm – Letters to Santa at Bowen’s Wharf
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 4 pm – Waffle Pop Up at General’s Crossing!
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Tim Cunningham & Don Farias
- 7 pm – Hangin Out! For The Holidays with Steph & Lionel
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 7:30 am – COVID-19 Vaccine Subcommittee
- 9:30 am – Jamestown Technical Review Committee
- 2:30 pm – Jamestown Board of Canvassers
- 11 am – WUN-ON-ONE: A conversation with Steve Iwanski, founder of Charter Books
- 1 pm – Governor Raimondo’s weekly COVID-19 press briefing
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
We’ll See You Out There
Photo By: city___slicker | Reminder: Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.
Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library