President John F. Kennedy vacationed at Hammersmith Farm in Newport on August 26th & 27th, 1962.
Speaking about President Kennedy’s lifelong fascination with the sea, Jacqueline Kennedy once said; “It was really the boat that relaxed him the most. . . . It was for what getting out on a horse was for me, in the air, no phone . . . He loved the sun and the water and no phone.”
In the photos, the 35th President of the United States sits aboard the United States Coast Guard boat Manitou on August 26, 1962 in Narragansett Bay.
President Kennedy would return to Newport, RI in September for the 1962 America’s Cup.
Sources: Robert Knudsen. White House Photographs. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Boston
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools