The Department of Environmental Management (DEM) Division of Law Enforcement announced on Monday that it was investigating a fatal incident that occurred on Monday on the north end of the Brenton Point shoreline in Newport near the Castle Hill Inn.
A 25-year-old Providence man was jumping off the rocks with a group of others at a location known as 12 O’Clock High, according to DEM.
The man was identified on Tuesday as Joshua Jones of Providence.
DEM reminds Rhode Islanders that jumping and diving are prohibited in this area.
According to witness reports, DEM says the man was climbing out of the water when he was knocked back into the water by a wave and could not get out. CPR was administered on the scene by Newport Fire and the victim was pulled from the water by Newport Fire rescue swimmers. He was then transported to Newport Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The matter remains under investigation by RI Environmental Police and Newport Police.
This story is developing and will be updated as more information is confirmed.
More From What’s Up Newp
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings
- Opinion: Our seniors have earned the comfort to know we value them
- Obituary: Scott James Sawyer
- Rhode Island to eliminate residency requirement for COVID-19 Vaccination
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May