The Department of Environmental Management (DEM) Division of Law Enforcement announced on Monday that it was investigating a fatal incident that occurred on Monday on the north end of the Brenton Point shoreline in Newport near the Castle Hill Inn.
A 25-year-old Providence man was jumping off the rocks with a group of others at a location known as 12 O’Clock High, according to DEM.
The man was identified on Tuesday as Joshua Jones of Providence.
DEM reminds Rhode Islanders that jumping and diving are prohibited in this area.
According to witness reports, DEM says the man was climbing out of the water when he was knocked back into the water by a wave and could not get out. CPR was administered on the scene by Newport Fire and the victim was pulled from the water by Newport Fire rescue swimmers. He was then transported to Newport Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The matter remains under investigation by RI Environmental Police and Newport Police.
This story is developing and will be updated as more information is confirmed.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits