Common Fence Music today announced that it will present Queen Esther in a free online concert on Sunday August 23 at 7 PM.
“Queen Esther is a product of the deep south of sanctified church choirs and sacred steel guitars,” Common Fence writes about Queen Esther. “Her creative brilliance and four octave range have resulted in the award-winning vocalist, songwriter librettist, playwright and actor who is helping to define Black Americana music”.
A link will be provided at commonfencemusic.org at showtime. A Musical Journeys interview with Queen Esther will immediately follow the concert.
This concert is sponsored in part by a generous grant from the Rhode Island State Council for the Arts. Musical Journeys, a feature of the Jedd Sullivan Memorial Series, is generously supported by Graham Sullivan & Family.
Common Fence Music is a Rhode Island-based 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization whose mission it is to celebrate diverse folk music traditions through community-based cultural exchange.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits