Newport, RI – Here’s a round-up of the scheduled road and lane closures throughout Newport County during the week ahead.
Rhode Island Department of Transportation
The following road and lane closure notices from the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) are effective for the week of July 11-17. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change. Visit RIDOT’s Travel Advisories website for a full listing of statewide lane closures.
Middletown: Rte. 138 North, from Turner Rd. to Meadow Lane, right lane closed for drainage work, Mon., 6:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Middletown: Coddington Hwy., from Lake Erie St. to JT Connell Hwy., alternating lane closures for construction, Mon.-Fri., from 6 a.m.-4 p.m.
Newport/Middletown: JT Connell Hwy, from Admiral Kalfbus Rd. to Lake Erie St. in Middletown, alternating lane closures for construction, Mon.-Fri., from 6 a.m.-4 p.m.
Portsmouth: Rte. 114 (Bristol Ferry Rd.), from Barker’s Lane to the Mt. Hope Bridge, Rte. 114 at Boyd’s Lane, and Boyd’s Lane at Rte. 24 South off-ramp, alternating lane closures, with possible alternating one-way traffic and narrowed lanes for drainage work, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.- 3 p.m. Frequent vehicle access in/out of the work zone.
Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority
The following road and lane closure notices from the Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority (RITBA) are effective for the week of July 12-18. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
Newport Claiborne Pell Bridge: !!!! PLEASE NOTE: THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE NEWPORT PELL BRIDGE !!!!
!!!! HAS BEEN LOWERED TO 25 MPH !!!!
Newport Claiborne Pell Bridge: NPB Roadway Deck Rehabilitation Project
- For the period from early June 2020 through late August 2020 there will be work taking place 24 hours a day with a Permanent Lane Closure in the Westbound (heading from Newport to Jamestown) Passing Lane between spans 2E to 22E. During the first 2 weeks of June 2020, there will be a transition from the prior phase of the project in the Eastbound Travel lane to the Westbound Passing Lane and traffic patterns may vary. Upon completion of the transition, lanes of travel Eastbound and Westbound may alternate to allow 2 lanes into Newport during morning rush hour (6am to 9am) and 2 lanes out of Newport during afternoon rush hour (3pm to 6pm). At all other times the contractor may utilize one other lane which would leave one lane of traffic open in each direction. Modifications may be made due to weather and traffic conditions.
- Overnight: Eastbound and Westbound Open Road Tolling (ORT) Lanes Only- Daily- 11 pm to 7 am
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge: Westbound Right Lane Closure-7/13 to 7/16- 6 am to 4 pm. Eastbound Right Lane Closure- 7/14- 7 am to 3 pm
Route 138 Connector: There are currently no Lane Closures scheduled on the Route 138 Connector.
Mount Hope Bridge: There are currently no Lane Closures scheduled on the Mount Hope Bridge.
Sakonnet River Bridge: There are currently no Lane Closures scheduled on the Sakonnet River Bridge
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf