Source: Child & Family
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 Child & Family hosted a ribbon cutting for their recently renovated Portsmouth Center, a residential home for youth. This renovation was made possible by a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) through the Town of Portsmouth.
The (CDBG) program provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. The program works to ensure decent, affordable housing, to provide services to the most vulnerable in our communities, and to create jobs through the expansion and retention of businesses. CDBG is an important tool for helping local governments tackle serious challenges facing their communities. The CDBG program has made a difference in the lives of millions of people and their communities across the country.
Child & Family is especially grateful to the Town of Portsmouth for awarding this grant and to Church Community Housing Corporation for facilitating the program. Child & Family also thanks 42 North Builders and Hynson Electric for completing the renovation.
The Portsmouth Center is one of three residential houses operated by Child & Family, and is home to 8 residents at any given time. A stable home life provides the basis for emotional and physical well-being. Child & Family’s experienced staff has the tremendous responsibility of helping these young people through the complex trauma conditions they have endured. Annually, the organization’s residential services provides safe, predictable, and highly engaging living environments to more than 50 youth ages 13 to 18 in Rhode Island who have been placed in Child & Family’s care by DCYF.
For more information about Child & Family, please contact Jennifer Whelihan at (401) 848-4141 or email@example.com, or visit childandfamilyri.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits