Here’s what’s on tap for road construction and traffic in Newport County this upcoming week.
Rhode Island Department of Transportation
The following road and lane closure notices are effective for the week of November 16-22, 2019. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
Weekday – Newport: Goat Island Causeway, from Washington St. to Goat Island Rd., alternating one-way traffic with a right lane closure for a bridge inspection, Tues., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Visit RIDOT’s Travel Advisories website for a full listing of statewide lane closures.
Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority
The following road and lane closure notices are effective for the week of November 17-23, 2019. All schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change.
Newport Claiborne Pell Bridge
!!!! PLEASE NOTE: THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE NEWPORT PELL BRIDGE !!!! !!!! HAS BEEN LOWERED TO 25 MPH !!!!
*NPB Roadway Deck Repair Project*
For the period from 8/12/2019 through November 2019 there will be work taking place 24 hours a day with a Permanent Lane Closure in the Westbound Travel Lane between spans 2E to 22E. Lanes of travel Eastbound and Westbound will alternate to allow 2 lanes into Newport during morning rush hour (6am to 9am) and 2 lanes out of Newport during afternoon rush hour (3pm to 6pm). At all other times the contractor may utilize one other lane which would leave one lane of traffic open in each direction.
Westbound Right Lane Closure-11/18 to 11/22- 7 am to 2 pm
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge
- There are currently no lane closures on the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge.
Route 138 Connector
- Westbound Right Lane Closure- 11/18 to 11/22- 7 am to 2 pm
Mount Hope Bridge
- Southbound Lane Closure- 11/18 to 11/21- 9 am to 3 pm
- Southbound Lane Closure- 11/22- 9 am to 1 pm
- Southbound Lane Closure- 11/23- 5 am to 11 am
Sakonnet River Bridge
- There are currently no Lane Closures on the Sakonnet River Bridge.
Visit RITBA’s Travel Advisories website for updates and more information.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport String Project Season Opening Concert
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour