The City of Newport on Wednesday announced it has joined Nextdoor, the private social networking site for neighborhoods, as a Partner Agency.
The decision to join Nextdoor is part of an ongoing effort to advance the City’s technological and civic engagement strategy, and follows the launch of a new Smart911 Emergency Alert system last month.
Currently, Newport has 11 active Nextdoor neighborhood groups with 4,962 verified members, representing 27 percent of the City’s roughly 14,000 households.
Nextdoor users in Newport can expect to receive updates on topics such as roadwork, parking bans, trash delays, emergency alerts, and other civic activities.
Newport joins the City of Providence as the second citywide Nextdoor Partner Agency in the state. Nextdoor users can find the City’s official account at nextdoor.com/pages/city-of-newport
More From What’s Up Newp
- The Reef officially opens with a fresh, new look; new menu; and a new director of culinary development
- Grey Sail Brewing announces summer line-up of food trucks, vendors, and musical guests
- 'Ocean View' on Bellevue Avenue hits the market for $18.85 million
- Plant City X opening a location in Warwick
- South Kingstown voters reject school bond