The Portsmouth Police Department announced today in a press release the establishment of a new Motorcycle Unit.
Colonel Thomas F. Lee, Chief of Police, would like to announce the establishment of our new Motorcycle Unit. The Motorcycle Unit is a new unit of the Patrol Division. The motor officers will be patrolling just as a patrol car does but is also considered a community based unit that allows the motor officers the ability to interact with residents much more easily. The Motorcycle Unit will represent the department at community events and will have the ability to provide escorts for celebrations as well as participating in parades.
The Motorcycle Unit is currently comprised of two officers, Detective Jacob Silva and Officer Maddie Pirri, that just successfully completed the 40 hour Police Motorcycle Course sponsored by New England Police Vehicle Leasing (NEPVL). We are proud to report that we believe Officer Maddie Pirri to be the first female Motor Officer in the State of Rhode Island.
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf