The Portsmouth Police Department announced today in a press release the establishment of a new Motorcycle Unit.
Colonel Thomas F. Lee, Chief of Police, would like to announce the establishment of our new Motorcycle Unit. The Motorcycle Unit is a new unit of the Patrol Division. The motor officers will be patrolling just as a patrol car does but is also considered a community based unit that allows the motor officers the ability to interact with residents much more easily. The Motorcycle Unit will represent the department at community events and will have the ability to provide escorts for celebrations as well as participating in parades.
The Motorcycle Unit is currently comprised of two officers, Detective Jacob Silva and Officer Maddie Pirri, that just successfully completed the 40 hour Police Motorcycle Course sponsored by New England Police Vehicle Leasing (NEPVL). We are proud to report that we believe Officer Maddie Pirri to be the first female Motor Officer in the State of Rhode Island.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits