The Moving Wall, a two hundred forty three feet long replica that honors the courage, sacrifice and devotion to duty and country of Vietnam Veterans, is coming to Touro Park in September.
This replica, which is about half the size of the original on the National Mall, has a unique modular design that allows for portability that has allowed it to tour cities and towns across the US for the last 34 years.
According to the events website, Memorial Funeral Homes has decided to sponsor the event after being approached by local Vietnam Veteran, Paul Croce about ways to be more involved with the veteran community on the island. Paul served as a Captain in the US Army, HHC, 45th Engineer Group, Republic of Vietnam from 1966-1967 and is currently an active member of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 325.
The tentative schedule is as follows;
- September 19 at 9 a.m. escort onto island to setup location
- Candlelight vigil at 6:30 pm
- Taps at sundown each night
- September 20, Opening Ceremony, reception to follow
- Various ceremonies and speakers
- September 23 Closing ceremony
There is a call for volunteers and support, if you are interested in helping with this project visit here.
For more information and updates on the Moving Wall Newport, visit http://movingwallnewport.org/.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education