Salve Regina University announced in a press release today that Dr. Steve Rodenborn, director of the honors program and chair of the department of religious and theological studies at St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas, will become the new undergraduate dean at Salve Regina, effective July 1.
“A student-centered, Mercy education is a transformative experience,” Rodenborn said in the press release. “It’s clear to me that Salve Regina prepares graduates who are uniquely capable of examining the world with nuance and engaging the world professionally. It will be an honor to work with Salve’s incredibly talented faculty in the coming years to hone this distinctive kind of education for new generations of students.”
Rodenborn regularly teaches in the Honors Living Learning Community at St. Edward’s, which offers a variety of courses in the areas of systematic and historical theology. The author of “Hope in Action: Subversive Eschatology in the Theology of Edward Schillebeeckx and Johann Baptist Metz” (Fortress Press, 2014), his research focuses on political theology and the history of modern theology.
“As a systematic theologian with a personal and professional background deeply rooted in the Catholic intellectual tradition, Dr. Rodenborn has expertise and a strong track record as a collaborative leader with past success working across disciplines to further strengthen student outcomes across all majors,” said Dr. Nancy Schreiber, Salve’s provost/vice president for academic affairs in the press release. “Dr. Rodenborn is very experienced working with a diverse student body and will bring bold ideas as we look to continue to strengthen our academic profile.”
Rodenborn has a B.A. in theology from Creighton University and both an M.T.S. and Ph.D. in systematic theology from the University of Notre Dame.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck