Here’s what’s happening, new, and to do today in and around Newport, Rhode Island.
- Today – Rain likely before 2pm. Patchy fog between 7am and 1pm. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradual clearing during the afternoon, with a high near 49. South wind 6 to 11 mph increasing to 12 to 17 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tonight -Mostly clear, with a low around 24. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.
- Gale Warning in effect from this evening through Saturday afternoon
- Today – SW winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming W 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt this afternoon. Waves 3 to 4 ft. Patchy fog. A chance of rain this morning, then rain likely this afternoon. Vsby 1 nm or less.
- Tonight – W winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Waves around 3 ft.
- Coastal Water Temperature – 37.0 °F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- The sun rose in Newport at 6:49 am and sunset will be at 5:10 pm.
- The first low tide was at 3:06 am and the next low tide will be at 3:26 pm. The first high tide will be at 9:50 am and the next high tide at 10:11 pm.
- The lunar phase is a Waxing Crescent. Moon age is 3 days, lighting is 9%.
- 9 am – AARP: Free Tax Preparation Services at MLK Center
- 3 pm – Oscar Shorts 2019 – Animated at Jane Pickens Theater
- 4 pm – Liege Waffles at Ragged Island Brewery with Burgundian Waffles
- 5 pm & 7:30 pm – Cold War at Jane Pickens Theater
- 6 pm – Black History Month: Screening of ‘Freedom Riders’ at MLK Center
- 8 pm – Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- What’s happening, new, and to do in and around Newport this week
- Where to find live music and entertainment in Newport this week
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck