Snow on the way, doesn’t mean you have to stay indoors all day! With the help and expertise of our loyal readers and followers, the What’sUpNewp Crew has compiled a list of the best and favorite places to go sledding and tubing in and around Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth.
Places to go sledding and tubing on Aquidneck Island
- Fort Adams State Park – The hills near the rugby/soccer fields are a popular spot for those looking for a fast and furious good time.
- Morton Park – Not the biggest hills around but it is within walking distance to Downtown Newport and a great spot for the lil’ ones to have some snow day fun.
- Aquidneck Park – Located next to Newport Public Library, this small hill, where you can’t pick up too much speed, is a popular spot for parents to bring kids.
- St. George’s School – The hills at St. George’s School just off Purgatory Road are a very popular Aquidneck Island spot among the locals.
- Middletown High School – MHS offers two fun hills next to their parking lot, one smaller run for the lil’ ones and a larger one for those that want a little bit more excitement and speed.
- Wanumetonomy Golf & Country Club – Somehow golf courses always transform into the perfect place to spend the day dashing through the snow.
- Portsmouth Middle School – The hills behind Portsmouth Middle School are a popular spot for families to play in the snow.
Where Do You Like To Sled?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on 1/23/16. Photo of sledding at Fort Adams via Sail Newport Facebook Page
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13