What’s Up Newp is powered by our loyal advertisers and by the generosity of our amazing supporters/members. If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
This story was originally published on November 22, 2015.
What is there to do here in Newport when a rainy days occurs? If you’re interested in more than just curling up with a good book or watching a movie on the couch, here’s some ideas of what to do in Newport when it rains.
1 – Tour The Mansions – A visit to The Preservation Society of Newport County‘s Properties (The Breakers, The Elms, Chateau-sur-Mer, Chepstow, Hunter House, Isaac Bell House, Kingscote, Marble House and Rosecliff) or Newport Restoration’s Doris Duke’s Rough Point is a perfect thing to do on a rainy day!
2) See A Movie – It may not be the most original idea, but who ever wants to go to a movie on a nice, sunny, beach-worthy day, so a rainy day is a great time to see a flick. Head to the historic Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center for a movie, a Newport Stormy (yes they have a bar) and some delicious popcorn.
3) Visit the newly updated International Tennis Hall of Fame Museum on Bellevue Avenue.
4) Stop by the Museum of Newport History at Brick Market Museum and Shop and get acquainted with Newport’s history.
5) Browse through Redwood Library on Bellevue Avenue, it’s the oldest continuously operating library in the United States.
6) Visit the Touro Synagogue, the oldest house of Jewish worship in North America
7) Take a tour of The City By The Sea with a trolley tour, yes you will stay dry!
8) Learn how to blow glass at Thames Glass on Lower Thames Street.
9) Relive your childhood days at Ryan Family Amusement Center, located at the corner of Pelham and Thames Street.
10) SHOP – there are so many great local and family owned boutique shops in the area, throw on a rain coat, grab an umbrella and hit the street and do some shopping for yourself or your loved ones.
11) Attack our Top 50 Thing to Eat in Newport, RI before you die list
12) Taste & Tour – Visit Coastal Extreme Brewing and take a tour of the Newport Storm and Thomas Tew Rum operations, and/or head to Newport Vineyards and sip on their delicious wine at their new state-of-the-art vineyard, restaurant and tasting room.
13) Art – Newport is home to many great art galleries and The Newport Art Museum, visit and let your mind wander.
14) Audrain Automobile Museum has an extensive and impressive collection of historic and luxury cars, head to Bellevue Avenue and see these cars!
15) Head to the spa – have you heard about The Bodhi Spa? Spend the day (yes, you can literally stay there all day) at New England’s premier hydrotherapy spa.