Sign up for What’sUpNewp’s free daily newsletter and we’ll keep you in the know of all that’s happening, new, and to do out there.
25,000+ subscribers wake up every morning to it!
A Winter Storm Warning from the National Weather Service in Taunton has been issued for all of Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts from Sunday afternoon at 7 p.m. until 11 a.m. on Monday Morning.
Snow is expected to arrive in our area early Sunday evening, with the bulk of the snow falling overnight into Monday morning, expecting heavy snowfall accumulation is 6 to 10 inches is expected during that time. (see more below)
What’sUpNewp will continue to monitor this winter storm and will keep you updated, the following is the most complete and thorough list of updates that you can find. These updates have been received and confirmed from businesses, schools, emergency services and etc through phone calls, social media, e-mails and the Rhode Island Broadcaster Association (link below).
This story will continue to be updated with real-time info.
- St Mary – Newport: 7:30AM Mass Cancelled; Offices may be open later
- Head Start EBCAP: Closed Today; All sites
- Salve Regina Univ.: University is open Monday, Mar. 21.; All campuses operate as normal
- BankNewport: Delayed 1 hour; Opening at 9:00am
- Newport Art Museum: Coleman Center closed; no art camps
- Boys and Girls Clubs – Newport Cty: Closed Today; All programming canceled
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center – The Center will be CLOSED tomorrow, due to inclement weather. We will reopen on Tuesday. Breakfast will resume then, too.
- Edward King House Senior Center: Closed Tomorrow; No lunch/evening activities
- Newport Public Schools: Closed Tomorrow
- Aquidneck Medical Associates: Opening at 1:30pm; on Monday Mar 21
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division Newport – NUWC Newport expects heaviest snow 5-7am tomorrow morning. Snow crews will start at 1 am. NUWC will delay opening until 10 am Monday. Employees should not try to report early. Flexitour and First 40 are canceled for Monday. After 10 am, employees should coordinate with their supervisors for ADHOC telework, unscheduled leave, or reporting as normal.
- City Of Newport – Due to the predicted storm approaching, trash collection tomorrow has been cancelled. Trash collection will run on a holiday week schedule for the week.
- CODAC – Newport: Closed for medicating Monday 3/21; Bring takehome box Sunday 3/20
- Middletown Senior Center: Closed Today
- Middletown Town Hall: Town Hall opening at 10AM; Trash pickup cancelled
- Silveira Kindergarten and Nursery: Closed Tomorrow
- Shining Star Pre-School: Closed Tomorrow; Cancel Classes
- Middletown Pub. Schools: Closed Tomorrow; No PM Activities
- Aquidneck Is. Christian Acad.: Closed Tomorrow
- All Saints Academy: Closed Tomorrow
- Middletown Police: Parking Ban This Evening; 8:00pm Sunday-1:00pm Monday
- Countryside Children’s Center: Delayed 1 Hour; Opening at 8 am.
- Bradley School – Portsmouth: Closed Tomorrow
- St Philomena School (Portsmouth): Closed Tomorrow
- Portsmouth Public Schools: Closed Tomorrow
- Town Of Portsmouth – A parking ban will be in effect Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 6PM tomorrow evening until 4PM Monday, March 21, 2016.
- Jamestown Police: Parking Ban Tomorrow; Monday 12am to 4pm
- Jamestown Public Schools: Closed Tomorrow; Cancel Activities
- Jamestown Early Learning Ctr: Closed Tomorrow
For more Rhode Island Broadcaster Associations updates for all of Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts, CLICK HERE
Winter Storm Warning – Last Update 11:00 a.m.
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
1100 AM EDT SUN MAR 20 2016
WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-
NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-
SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-
SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-
BRISTOL RI-WASHINGTON RI-NEWPORT RI-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…FOXBORO…NORWOOD…BOSTON…QUINCY…
TAUNTON…BROCKTON…PLYMOUTH…FALL RIVER…NEW BEDFORD…
1100 AM EDT SUN MAR 20 2016
…WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING
TO 11 AM EDT MONDAY…
* LOCATIONS…SOUTHEAST MASSACH– USETTS AS WELL AS RHODE ISLAND.
THIS INCLUDES THE BOSTON AND PROVIDENCE METROPOLITAN AREAS.
* HAZARD TYPES…HEAVY WET SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS…SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES…WITH THE
HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE SOUTH COAST TOWARD THE CAPE COD CANAL.
* TIMING…SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION BETWEEN 6
AND 10 PM THIS EVENING. THE SNOW WILL FALL HEAVY AT TIMES
DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS AND PROBABLY PERSIST INTO AT LEAST
THE FIRST PART OF THE MONDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR BEFORE COMING
TO AN END BY AFTERNOON.
* IMPACTS…SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE ON ROADWAYS MAKING FOR
HAZARDOUS TRAVEL TONIGHT AND MAY STILL BE FALLING HEAVILY
DURING THE START OF THE MONDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR. IN
ADDITION…THIS WILL ALSO BE A WET SNOW…PARTICULARLY TO THE
SOUTHEAST OF A BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE LINE. THE RESULT MAY BE
SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES AND DOWNED TREE LIMBS.
* WINDS…NORTH 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
* VISIBILITIES…ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
* TEMPERATURES…IN THE LOWER 30S.
A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE
INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD…OR FOR 8 OR MORE
INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELL
TREATED SURFACES…AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED OR